Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mracer

hooking a SLC5/04 into Factory Talk system

8 posts in this topic

I would like to as the group what my options are for a project I have been asked to look into. On our powder paint line, we have a SLC5/04 and a PanelView 900 using DH+. At the present time we have a PC with RSLinx and RSView running giving them some access to make some adjustments and log some temps. We would like to tie this into our PlantMetrix to track the lines operation. My Question is this, what would be the best way to tie into this PLC for communications? Is there a way that I can set this up so that we can have access at more than 1 point or PC Is there an Ethernet module that I can add to the rack? I’m looking for ideas on this one. Thanks Racer

If channel 0 of the 5/04 is not being used then you could hook a 1761-NET-ENI to the port to put it on Ethernet

Sounds like your PC is already on the DH+ network, if so then you could upgrade your RSLinx to gateway, and access the PLC via the existing PC's ethernet connection.

Yes, The PC is on the DH+. We would like to get rid of the PC in that location and have access through the network to other PC. The problem is that if that PC is not started on Monday morning there is no logging of points. The other thing would be to wire all the way to the main computer room with the DH+ and move the RSLinx the the server. at least that what is how I think it would work. Thats about 800 to 1000 ft. Thanks for the input. Racer

What about Channel 0? Is it in use?

I just looked at the file and it is set up for DF1 Full duplex. I need to go out and open it up, but I don't think there is anything plugged in now.

Channel 0 with a 1761-NET-ENI is one solution as has been mentioned. Also you could use a ControlLogix Chassis with a 1756-DHRIO and a 1756-ENBT or 1756-EN2T as a bridge. If you have existing CLGX with open slots and can get the DH+ line to it this will provide a larger pipeline for data than the Port 0 option. Costs are slightly more possibly.,

Bob, That has been brought up too. When I asked the cost that is when I thought I would ask all of you here. Some times the dist. isn't at the cutting edge of whats going on. All of the DH+ and com line stuff is all new to me. I'll get there. It will just take some learning.. Is there any good reading of the subject? DH+, RS Linx, this kind of stuff. Thanks again Racer