Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PdL

Devicenet repeater on a C200HW-DRM21-V1

10 posts in this topic

I am in the process of adding a DRT1-COM node to an existing Devicenet network. As the distance to the new node is quite big, a Devicenet repeater is installed, make Turck REP-DN, data sheet attached. Here's a simple graphic of the setup. The network is running at 125K. The additional network extension is drawn in red. I have terminated the new network segment at both ends with 125 ?. At one end at the connector on the DRT1-COM, at the other end at the second repeater connector of segment B. The master is loaded with the new configuration file, and is calling the new node correctly by displaying a steady green lit MS LED and a flashing red NS LED, with the 7 segment display flashing repeatedly D5 > Node number. On the D5 error the manual says: I am a bit confused of the function of using the scan list enable/disable function, but I believe by default the scan list is disabled, and I am sure the software switch to enable the scan list is off. I can't remember if the left and right dots in the 7 segment display on the master were on or off but I think if they we're lit I would remember. I will check tomorrow for sure but lets assume this is not my problem. Would it help to clear the scan list ? If it is calling the correct node number the scan list is ok right ? I have checked all obvious things such as repeater connector wiring, network terminators,network connectors, 24V, terminals, mixed H and L connections, power cycling the master and the slave, DRT1-COM dip switch slave number setting, etc etc. Does anyone have experience with this repeater ? Can anyone confirm I am using it correctly ? Any hints or tips are appreciated.... REP_DN.pdf

Remove the resistor on the repeater. It is probably terminating the loop. There should only be a resistor at each end and not in the middle.

I have done this and it didn't matter. And in fact at the repeated network it is at each end isn't it ? I believe you could consider this network as a "new" network. I understand the total network impendance should be around 240 Ohm meaning a termination of 121 Ohm at both sides.

That seems to break all the rules. I would still try removing the resisitor anyway and giving it a go - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I will try it again as well as some other options... If you check the Extended Trunk wiring example on page 2 of the datasheet you can see a termination is needed at both sides. The master manual confirms 121 Ohm is needed at both ends of the trunk line. Am I missing something ?

I think the config (wiring) seems a little wrong,,, looking at the data sheet i would insert and allow a passs trhough of the network through the repaeter... You terminators are correct and i would leave them in... generally though i use 120 ohm not 125 ohm,,,, ohm well.... You are correct in assumming a new network with terminators on both ends there also...

You lost me there Sleepy... what do you mean ?

i have modified my above post.. The repeater needs to part of the trunk line (inline) or at the end and termainated...

Right, thanks, I considered this for a moment as well, but I have to put part of the plant down every time I try something new so I can't just do trial and error unfortunately. You know on my drawing it looks very tidy but boy if you would see how it's tied up. Oh and I only had 250ohm resistors hence the 125ohm. I will give this a go tomorrow morning. Thanks for now.

I ended up putting the new drop line without termination at the primary side of the repeater, so bypassing the repeater at all. Couldn't get the stupid thing to work, although Sleepy's suggestion was the way to go. Turck tech support was helpful but had no clue either. It was my last desperate attempt. 60m drop line with no termination, running as a charm. Need to get it working soon though as the drop line is supposed to be extended in the future. As always no time to sort it out, on to the next patient.