Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chriswell

CompactLogix remote I/O

13 posts in this topic

Hi everybody Anyone knows if a compactlogix remote i/o card is available on the market. By a third party and chassis mount.

Do you mean Allen Bradley Remote I/O or do you mean remote I/O such as some type of networked I/O? Is this a new application or are you trying to replace an existing SLC or PLC5?

We have to supply a control panel with a plc that will communicate RIO with a robot control panel. We want to avoid installing an SLC.

I'm not aware of any for the Compactlogix. There is a DH+ RIO module for the Controllogix. You could bump up the system or use a Controllogix chassis as a gateway

Just move up to a ControlLogix and use a 1756-DHRIO card. Only other option I could find is a DF1 to Remote I/O Converer by Datalink Technologies.

What's the part number of the Datalink module? I'm not seeing it.

http://www.protocolconverter.com/products/dl3500-KFR.htm

Thanks Linkman

You can use the compactlogix processor with a gateway module from Prosoft Technology. Your I/O will then need to be SLC, PLC, ControlLogix or Flex I/O. I recommend Flex for cost reasons. The Prosoft 5601-RIO-DFCM A-B Remote I/O Adapter to DF1 Master/Slave connects to the serial port on the processor. You'll need to configure the port for DF1 communication.

That Prosoft device is a RIO Adapter; the original poster needs a RIO Scanner. The device I was thinking of (and you may have been as well) is SST's 1769 series RIO Adapter, the SST-RIO-CIO. I can't find any mention of it on their website today, though, and I don't think they ever made a scanner version. I think the only way to do what you describe is with an SLC and 1747-SN/B or with a ControlLogix and 1756-DHRIO. Are you sure this robot doesn't have an option for DeviceNet or EtherNet/IP ?

thank you everybody again. It sounds like marketing thing, so the indutries won't change a plc5 for a compact, they will change to a controllogix.

Ken is correct, the SST device is an adaptor and not a scanner. Does the robot have redundant I/O terminals on board? If so, and equiped with 24VDC, you could wire such to a 1734-AENT Point I/O base with appropriate inputs and outputs modules. This would allow ethernet communication back to the CompactLogix (as long as such is an L3xE.) We have done such in the past with IAI and Motoman robots to create ethernet communication and eliminate a $1,200.00+ robot controller adder board.