Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rwraley

Micrologix 1100 to panel view

6 posts in this topic

Hi all. I have searched the forum and the Rockwell knowledge base and haven't found an answer to this question. Does the ML1100 communicate directly with ethernet panelviews or do I need a layer such as devicenet or controlnet to exchange data? I am looking into purchasing several 1100's to place out in the field at our facility to control plant systems over existing ethernet network, but all will be time and calendar based based apps so I wanted to put the operator interface back at the office to modify schedules and monitor status also as a means to manually overide some operations. Does this require having a PLC at the panelview and messaging the field units from it to change N file data. This is my first attempt at designing an ethernet based com network for control so be gentle.

1. It is not the knowledgebase but the Rockwell Document Library where I would look first. The following search gave me several documents to work with. 2. You say you are using several ML1100 to control plan systems. Please work smart and keep control off from Ethernet {inmho}. The ML1100 does not support TCP/IP I/O, but I'd also advise against having start and stop buttons on an ethernet HMI without a local PB as well. Not to mention manually overriding equipment you can't see poses certain safety issues anyway. You'll find several horror and several success stories if you search MRplc for Ethernet IO applications. 3. If you use and Ethernet Capable Panelview or PVPLUS unit it should be a simple matter of mapping from the PV application to the Processor in question. Each processor would be a node and then you wouldsimply access data files of that node. 4. Something to consider since you want the HMI in the office and not on the plant floor. A simple Excel Spreadsheet or VB program could be written to load you data and display you status. This would run from your existing PC. RSView might also be an option. Given the limited description you gave this about covers the bases on a first pass sort of way. I've probably forgotten something that someone else will catch.

The MicroLogix 1100 can happily communicate directly to PanelView Standard and PanelView Plus terminals over an Ethernet network. You address it's internal data registers just like you would any other member of the SLC family. I'm not sure if there's a limit on how many controllers a PanelView can communicate with; I suspect the maximum is 64. The MicroLogix doesn't have a screaming-fast Ethernet port so you'll want to keep your update rates up above 100 or 200 milliseconds. The MicroLogix only supports TCP-based messaging over Ethernet. It doesn't do any "I/O-style" communication, which is good because you don't necessarily need any management features in your Ethernet switching system, and that you can located them on other subnets that are reachable via routers. If you're going to run I/O systems on these same networks, you're going to want to take a fresh look at those principles outside the scope of the MicroLogix / PanelView comms.

The units, once updated would stand alone in there control of the I/O. The only thing I need the ethernet for is to update the unit with the new registers (schedule) for the current week. I have thought about a pc to update the units but I would have a huge learning curve with the VB thing, I already know PB32 and Panelviews so thats why I thought this might be easier. Also it is necessary to have non maintenance persons being able to bypass certain functions and I thought a touch screen would be dummy proof. As far as the number of nodes the max would be 15. If I am understanding correctly it sounds like my biggest issue will be with monitoring status and changing state from the PV to the PLC's

I've done Standard Panelviews with Ethernet to Micrologix 1100s several times. It works great. I'll look and see if I can find a limitation on the number of devices to an Ethernet Standard Panelview. I don't think 15 would be problem though

Also talk to your local distributor. With a project of this size. They should have some good free resources to bounce these questions of off. They might give you some free training. good luck.