Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Catazia1

Micrologix 1000 to PV550

16 posts in this topic

Hello, I have been 'playing' with a micrologix 1000 (1761-L16BWA) and Panelview 550(2711-K5A5 - v1.04 with v1.07 firmware). Both work ok in so much as I can communicate from laptop to micrologix using correct AB comms lead (1761-CBL-PM02 ser.C) using RSLINX AB_DF1-1, DH485 driver and from the laptop to PV550 using a serial lead and 25-9 pin changer - no probs. However, when I connect the PV550 to the micrologix (using a new AB 2711-NC21 Ser.C comms cable), the two don't communicate! I have checked the comms settings in the PV config mode (Node 1, 19200, DH-485). The comms 'LED' is lit ok when laptop to PV but NOT when Micrologix 100 to PV. No error 'LED' in either case. For the PV, RSLINX is configured using; AB_PIC-2, DH-485 with my workstation (laptop) node 00, and PV550 node 01. I have no problems uploading or downloading programs between laptop and PV. I notice that PV shows the following message at the top of the screen 'Required network node(s) not found', even when I can communicate with laptop to it! Com 1 on laptop corresponds to port settings in comm settings of RSLINX so not sure what to try next. Have I to set anything in software in micrologix to tell it that it has a PV connected to it OR should it simply detect its presence if I have the two connected together? I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple as all comms appear to work independently, just not between controller and PV. Please help as I have to teach some students about this next week!!! Thanks for a great site! Kevin Brown

What is the node address of your Micrologix? ( it defaults to node 1)

Hello Mickey, I have checked the micrologix node in RSLINX and it is node 1. I can see that I also have the PV set as node 1. Am I correct in thinking that these node values are downloaded the the respective hardware, possibly causing the problem. If so, how can I change the node address of the PV to node 2. RSLINX seems to have assigned it to node 1 when I originally configured the driver? Thanks for the reply. Kev

RsLinx does not assign node addresses. Your Micrologix uses RSLOGIX500 for programming and the PV uses Panelbuilder32. Change the node address of one or the other it doesn't matter. Or go to the config screen on your PV and change the node address there. PV550config1.pdf Edited by Mickey

Is there some sort of conflict with using two diffrent drivers, and or the node address? I normally use 00 as pc, 01 as plc, and 02 as PV. It might help if someone could explain the diffrence between RS-232 (DH-485 protocol) and DH-485, and DF1 to me. I have used DF1 when connecting a pc to a single MicroLogix 1000, and DH-485 when connecting a pc, MicroLogix, and PanelView together Whenever I have had to connect a Micro to a PanelView I have used a 1761-NET-AIC+ with these cables: 1761-CBL-AS09 - AIC+ To PanelView Cable, 1761-CBL-AM00 - AIC+ To Micrologix Cable, and a 1747-CP3 - AIC+ To PC. Used with the AB_PIC-1 driver. This allows me to be online with the Micro and monitor what the PanelView is telling the Micro to do.

Thanks for the replies. I have checked the micrologix and it is node 1, the PV is node 2 and the laptop is node 0. At this stage, I am not to concerned about connecting the laptop, PV and microligix together. ONLY connecting the PV to the micrologix. If the micrologix is node1 and the PV is node2 then there should be no conflict. I have connected the 2711-NC21 cable between micrologix comm port (8-pin din) and com1 (9-pin D) on the PV (this is the only port on the PV). I have a FLASHING comm LED on the PV and the message "no active nodes found on the network" at the top of the PV screen. The 2711-NC21 was specified as a micrologix-to-panelview comm cable. Is this correct. OR do I NEED to buy a 1761-NET-AIC and all the other cables mentioned above? - I hope not. Any other suggestions? Regards, Kev

robh - you might look at THIS thread for understanding the difference between DF1 and DH-485 Catazia1 - I have only used the Panelview in one DH-485 applicaiton but here are the basics that could have been overlooked. In Panelbuilder under Application Settings>Communications setup do you have the micrologix setup as node 1. Also check the Baud rate, etc here and make sure it matches the settings in the micrologix. I know the 2711-NC21 is the correct cable for a Micrologix to Panelview on DF1 and the way I understand the post that I linked robh to it would be the correct cable for the application but could someone else verify that

Hello again, I received the following info from Rockwell; Regarding your email on communication between a 2711-K5A5 Panelview 550 & a 1761-L16BWA Micrologix 1000 plc. The 2711-K5A5 uses DH485 communication so the Micrologix plc must also be set to use DH485 comms. Give the Micrologix 1000 a DH485 node address & make sure the PV550 project matches the node addresses used for the PV550 & the Micrologix 1000 plc. Connect a 2711-NC21 cable between the PV550 & the Micrologix 1000 plc. Make sure you have created all Micrologix 1000 data table addresses necessary for the Pv550 project. (1) - Test comms between the PV550 & your computer using the 1747-PIC driver in RSLinx ( use a 2711-NC13 cable). (2) - Now test comms between the Micrologix 1000 plc & your computer using the 1747-PIC driver in RSLinx (use a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable). Test (1) Works fine - no problems. Test (2) This does NOT. I cannot get any comm connection to the micro. Only the crossed out PV icon displayed in RSLINX. I tried to change the communication properties of the micro, however, RSLogix500 wouldn't accept a 1747-PIC driver for comms in the controller properties (controller communications) settings. I end up losing the DF-1 link that I AM able to use (with no probs), so am prevented from uploading any 'new' settings for the micro. It seems to be a catch-22! The 1761-CBL-PM02 cable works on the DF-1 driver but not on PIC driver. RSLINX says that DF1 uses DH485, and as this comm link works from laptop to micro. Does this mean that the micro IS already set for DH485 comms? Any further suggestions? - I think I'm almost there. Is it actually possible to firmware update the PV from 1.07 to allow DF1 comms as suggested in last post? Where might I get it. Cheers, Kev

If you have already changed your ML to DH485.( are you sure of this) Then you are going to have to change RSLinx to the 1747-PIC driver as Rockwell has said. To do this you must first delete the DF1 driver. Disconnect all cables, uncheck the autobrowse in RSLINX and then delete the DF1 driver. Then add the 1747-PIC driver follow prompts. Check the autobrowse and see if the ML shows up. If you can post your file *.RSS and *.PVA or *.PBA Edited by Mickey

No can't make your Panelview do DF1. The 5 at the end of the part number means DH-485 with a 9 pin serial connection. It would need to end in a 16 to do DF1. But if I am understanding you correctly your are saying that you must pick the DF1 driver in RsLinx to connect to the Micrologix. This would mean that it is setup for DF1 and not DH-485. DF1 is the Micrologixs default communications so if you have never changed it chances are it is setup for DF1 Change it to DH-485 in RsLogix Channel Configuration. I think you can do it while online or offline. Download if you do it offline. It will give you a warning that you are not going to be able to communicate with it. Say yes when it ask you if you are sure. After a while it will kick you offline. Then use you DH-485 driver that you are using to communicate with the Panelview and you should be able to get back online. Just a side question for everyone. Does the Micrologix 1000 have the Default communications button on it like the 1200?

Hello again I include the *.pva and *.rss files see what you reckon. Thanks Kev 100nb03a.pva

sorry - here is the *.rss Regards, Kev downloaddummy1.RSS

It appears that the model of MICROLOIGX you have does not support DH485 ( at least thats what the RSS file shows. What is the model no. of your ML. ( the whole no. sorry I see from your first post.1761-L16BWA If this is the case your out of luck. ( Change controller or change PV) Or some sort of converter from DF1 to DH485. Not sure about this one but I'm sure someone else will ring in on this. Maybe an AIC+ AIC_.pdf Edited by Mickey

Cheers for the reply Mickey, Controller is; MICROLOGIX 1000 1761-L16BWA SERIES B FRN 2.0 SER NO: 1L16BWA1AB-2039959686 10 INPUTS / 6 RELAY OUTPUTS Hope this helps id the problem. I'm beginning to think you are right. Regards, Kev

From user manual ML1000User.pdf

Thats it Mickey! Mine is series B so doesn't support DH485 unless I use +AIC set-up. I will try another controller (1200 and 1500 at college) as it will be easier. Thanks everyone for all your help in solving this. I hope the info is of use to others. Kind regards, Kev