Jds

IS FX-32MR software still available?

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm currently a student in college in a PLC Programming degree. I bought a couple of Mitsubishi Melsec FX-32MR PLCs (used) so I could do my own projects or help with my classes. So far though, I'm having trouble finding the demo software online - probably because the model was discontinued so long ago (the file sharing sites I tried didn't work out). I did a little digging and it seems that the FX can be programmed using the GX developer software, alongside the FX0,FX1, etc. models. Mitsubishi doesn't seem to have anything more than a brief blurb about this model, so I'm doubtful that they would have software for this still (I intend to try calling during the week).

I'm curious if anyone knows of some sites that still would have the software for an old PLC like this uploaded somewhere. Where possible, I'd prefer to avoid spending more money, but it does look like there are online sellers with the software - Amazon Example. If I can't get free software, can I trust online sellers like the linked example, without any reviews? Or is there a better option? Or would I need to find a less outdated kind of PLC instead?

Thanks

Hi Jds,

Are you sure the FX-32 type is right? If so, you also need a special programming adapter (if still available?). If it is a FX0(s)/FX1(s) or FX1N/FX2N model you need GX-Developer (part of GX-Works2 or IQ-Works. To connect to your PC you need a serial programming cable SC-09 however you are still using old technology which is not sold or supported anymore.

I think that you are better of to contact the local Mitsubishi distributor and ask an offer for a introduction kit with a FX3GE or FX5 type PLC, (optional, depends on the intro kit) a GT touch screen, software IQ-Works and a USB programming cable. Most of the time they have a special offer to buy these components in an introduction kit for 1/3 of the real value. Updates are free if you register at the My.Mitsubishi portal.

There is also a free download available for a 60 days trial. (check google to find it)

https://us.mitsubishielectric.com/fa/en/about-us/distributors

Good luck studying

Best regards,

Theo V.

I agree with @Theo V.

However, if you still want to stick with the PLC's you've purchased, there is a DEMO version of both GX Developer and GX IEC Developer that can handle up to 1000steps. The Amazon link you provided are exactly this, together with a training course, so basically what you are paying for here is the training course and NOT the software...

If I were you I would contact your local Mitsubishi dealer and ask for an introduction package like @Theo V suggests. Alternatively if you don't have the money, ask them about the DEMO version of software.

Medoc will program your FX.... but I wouldn't go that route as it is DOS software. (Even though I still configure my GX-dev to the same keys used in medoc)

The demo used to be on here but I've looked and it has gone.

So as has already been said.... ask Mitsubishi if they will give you the demo version.  

You can get a Chinese copy of the SC09 from Ebay and to be honest, they aren't too bad.

The FX was the top PLC in it's day and still has a good instruction set and a decent amount memory and 'bits' etc

paremeters.png

I buy my cables from www.plccable.com. They have two versions of the SC09 cable, I have both and have never had any problem with either.

You can definitely use GX Developer 8 to program your PLC. I have also succesfully used the newer GX Works 2. If you can't find a demo version that will work, the cost of the new software is very reasonable compared to most major PLC brands. I would actually recommend buying the newest GX Works 3, as that comes with GX Works 2 and GX Developer. That way you will be able to program pretty much any Mitsubishi PLC over the past 30 years.

Thanks for the help guys!

:)