Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbrun

New to CX-Programmer

21 posts in this topic

Hello I am new to using CX-Programmer, experienced in using AB family of software, and I'm having extreme difficultly with using the analog output; I read the documentation and can't really make head or tails of it. This is my problem I need to output a 4-20mA signal to a VFD. The PLC that is being used is a CJM1/CPU13; what I've figured out already is that I need to enable the analog outputs but this is where my difficulty lies. My D(m) is 2010, I need to know how to enable the first output and how to configure its settings Thanks in advance for any advice

Ok, just to clarify a couple of things here first. The m area which falls in the DM area uses the following equation m = D20000 + 100 x unit number. I am assuming that your unit number is 1 from your post. So, m would be at D20100. This area is used to configure how the card functions (assign analog output types, enable usage of output, etc.). In the old days, you would have to configure these settings by going into the DM area and write values into m, m+1, m+2, etc. This is no longer required. You can now use the GUI interface in the I/O table to configure the output. See the picture below. First of all, it is necessary to double click on the I/O table on in the project workspace (arrow 1). Then upload (or create if necessary) the I/O table. Then double click on the analog output module (arrow 2). The View Parameters window will then open. Then Enable the output shown by arrow 3 and set it to 1-5V/4-20mA as shown by arrow 4. Then press the Transfer [PC to Unit] button (note that the PLC will have to be in Program mode to transfer). You will then need to wire the unit properly to use 4-20mA rather than 1-5V. From here, it is a matter of just enabling the output in the n area. The n area is in the CIO area. This area is addressed with only an address number (that is to say, there are no letters in the address). The equation for n is 2000 + 10 x unit number. So, n = 2010 in this example. If you were trying to configure and use output 1 (as was shown in the picture above), then you would need to turn on 2010.00 to enable conversion. Enabling conversion means that the number in the output 1 set value register n + 1 (2011) is then converted from an integer ranging from 0 - 4000 or 0 - 8000 for the model shown in the picture above to an analog signal. Since you did not provide a part number for the analog output module, you will need to find out the resolution. But, lets pretend that it has a 0 - 4000 analog output resolution. Then moving an integer 2000 into 2011 would result in a 12mA output. To do this, you could use a MOV function. It might look like this: The & symbol means constant integer. Hopefully this will point you in the right direction. Good luck!

post-19500-0-98366400-1296705635_thumb.j

post-19500-0-75590600-1296706268_thumb.j

1 person likes this

1 person likes this

Thank you very much for clarifying my inquiry; this method for enabling the output is useful

On 2/2/2011 at 0:43 AM, Michael Walsh said:

Ok, just to clarify a couple of things here first. The m area which falls in the DM area uses the following equation m = D20000 + 100 x unit number. I am assuming that your unit number is 1 from your post. So, m would be at D20100. This area is used to configure how the card functions (assign analog output types, enable usage of output, etc.). In the old days, you would have to configure these settings by going into the DM area and write values into m, m+1, m+2, etc. This is no longer required. You can now use the GUI interface in the I/O table to configure the output. See the picture below. First of all, it is necessary to double click on the I/O table on in the project workspace (arrow 1). Then upload (or create if necessary) the I/O table. Then double click on the analog output module (arrow 2). The View Parameters window will then open. Then Enable the output shown by arrow 3 and set it to 1-5V/4-20mA as shown by arrow 4. Then press the Transfer [PC to Unit] button (note that the PLC will have to be in Program mode to transfer). You will then need to wire the unit properly to use 4-20mA rather than 1-5V. From here, it is a matter of just enabling the output in the n area. The n area is in the CIO area. This area is addressed with only an address number (that is to say, there are no letters in the address). The equation for n is 2000 + 10 x unit number. So, n = 2010 in this example. If you were trying to configure and use output 1 (as was shown in the picture above), then you would need to turn on 2010.00 to enable conversion. Enabling conversion means that the number in the output 1 set value register n + 1 (2011) is then converted from an integer ranging from 0 - 4000 or 0 - 8000 for the model shown in the picture above to an analog signal. Since you did not provide a part number for the analog output module, you will need to find out the resolution. But, lets pretend that it has a 0 - 4000 analog output resolution. Then moving an integer 2000 into 2011 would result in a 12mA output. To do this, you could use a MOV function. It might look like this: The & symbol means constant integer. Hopefully this will point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Can I please get the pictures that you were refering to in this post? I know it is old but I am having a problem getting my BELIMO actuator to work with my CJ2M and analog output card. Think you can help me?

@PenneyInstrumentsI fixed the post above and reattached the pictures.  They were there still, but disconnected from the post since a website upgrade a few years ago.

Okay awesome. I am using the AMCX24-MFT BELIMO actuator. The PLC is a CJ2M-CPU33 with AD081-V1, and DA041 respectively. For some reason, I cannot get the actuator to move at all. I am sure I am doing something wrong with the ladder program. I have erased it a bunch of times just to redo it and I am getting fairly fristrated. I am not great with Omron (yet) and my knowledge lies within Allen Bradley. Do you think you could show me what the proper program should look like to actually make this thing move? I am trying to use the 4-20mA with the 500 ohm resistor.

Thanks,
Colin

Have you measured your analog output with any of your testing to see if it is getting out of the PLC?

Yes I have, there is nothing coming out

I am using 2030 for my enable and CIO2031=2033 for the outputs. Also tried some stuff using D20301 but I am not sure as this is different than what I am used to.

Edited by PenneyInstruments
had more to say

@PenneyInstruments The post above really is all that there is to it.  So, if you set the unit number on the analog output card to 1, you can use the exact code above and you should get an output.  Check for voltage between A1 and A2 as shown in the image below(1-5VDC).  Current should mirror the value but using A2 and A3.  Also make sure to connect 24 VDC at B9 and A9 as shown in yellow:

DA041.thumb.jpg.e1387d020f3c63651c4a43ca

DA041.bmp

As shown above, connect the 0VDC from the power supply to B9 and the 24VDC to A9.  Like this drawing shows:

DA04-2.jpg.1a2a2fd0890e63c40f92afae1eae8

I am getting 0.5V DC with this program. I currently have the resistor connected between A1, and A2? Not sure if this is correct? 

BELIMO.JPG

Edited by PenneyInstruments

For what are you using a resistor?  If you want 1-5VDC, use pins A1 and A2 if you want to use 4-20mA, use A2 and A3 (much like is shown with outputs 3 and 4 in the last drawing).

Hm, I have been looking at this drawing for the Belimo actuator and I guess I have fooled myself up in the process?

Capture.JPG

I can see why, it seems a bit confusing....:lookingaround:

If I am reading it correctly...

You would connect the Blk (1) wire to A2 on the analog output card (and they are suggesting that it is tied to 0VDC on the power supply, which should not be an issue as they are tied together inside the analog output card see internal circuitry drawing below).

DA04-3.thumb.jpg.bef51baecb1c5bd670d29d8

Then connect the Red(2) to +24VDC on your power supply.

Lastly connect Wht (3) to A3 on the analog output card.

Still havn't got a darn thing coming out. (other than the 0.5Vdc) I changed the source word to 4000 in the word instruction just to see if there was any change and there was none. Also, I had to make a jumper from the (-) on the 24V PSU to A2? I guess it wasn't connected internally to the common on B9?

Its working!? I changed my unit number on the CPU to 1. Uploaded via USB and bam. Idk what was going on but its fixed now I suppose. Thanks for all the help!

Well, changing the unit number changes which addresses point to the module.  Therefore, if you were using the addresses in the example above and did not have your unit number set to 1, then it would never work. 

And you should not need a jumper from 0VDC to A2.... Also, you should not be measuring analog voltage between A2 and A3 if that is what you were doing (you stated nothing besides 0.5 V).  You should be measuring current.  You could have been measuring voltage between A1 and A2 though....