Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Taco

Need help with my controls business

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I am attempting to start up a control panel building/machine troubleshooting company. I have a little over a year doing just that for a small company plus a degree in EE. The company did not do well and went under so I no longer do that work. I have experience designing the panels, PLC programming, and actually physically building them. Also a bit of field troubleshooting (not as much as I would have liked yet I will be working with my old panel builder/technician with 5 years experience). We primarily worked in bakerys and factorys, so I will probably start there. The problem is, I don't know where to start! Where to find the best customers in this field? How to bid on jobs? Where to turn for help? anything else that may help? If anyone can help at all I would appreciate it.

Good luck and don't be afraid to discuss your projects in the forums! We don't expect you to know everything and neither does your customer, they will probably even appreciate it if they see their project being discuss in the forums. It shows you have designed it with an open mind.

Well stated, Tim. Here are some additional points: Put together a profile of successful projects that you can talk about with potential clients. Connect with local distributors and electrical houses that service your preferred clientele. They often need back-up controls guys, and you will definitely need their support somewhere along the way. As long as you find people you can trust, you can build on each other's businesses by sharing customers. Find other controls guys in your area. This is a little touchier than the previous point because of potential competition, but I have found it invaluable to have other people to call on if I get in a fix because of scheduling. Also, we each have our niche on some of the less common stuff (for example, I do vision) so we don't have to know everything about everything. You can start here. Where are you located? Let me stress what Tim said about relationship. Your absolute number one asset is your reputation. It doesn't matter how good you are, if your customers don't like you, you won't get much repeat business. And referrals from satisfied customers are worth far more than expensive marketing campaigns. This doesn't mean you have to be perfect, but be consistent, be reliable, and make good on mistakes.

Taco - Good luck with this endeavor. I have been contemplating going out on my own for some time now, but never really knew how to get started.

Thanks for the great help. To answer your question, I am based right outside of NYC

1) Many controls distributors run their own SI, service, or calibration groups. Others don't. Check out the distributors in your area and let those who don't have their own SI group that you're available for projects of whatever size you deem doable. 2) If you're looking for an excellent discussion of much of the details of project work, much of which is documentation, whether on the scope end or for the enduser, an ISA publication covers these topics pretty well. Successful Instrumentation and Control Systems Design by Michael Whitt is two distinct parts, one a paperback book, the other a CD with templates of many of the forms in the book.

Relatively speaking you have very very little experience and do not take that the wrong way. Embarking on running your own business is not a trivial task and is one where most of us have more then 5 yrs plus ourselves in industry working in the field. Do you have a business plan ? or even know what one is ? your previous employer went bust working in the very industry that you want to get work from - what would you be doing different that would prevent this ? Do you know what your basic business running costs will be ? premises, insurance, car running expenses, equipment, computers, software for a number of plc brands, programming cables, drafting software, tax........ etc etc etc When working for yourself, there is no sick leave, holiday pay etc.. ie your rate you charge must cover all of the above and enough to cover all other things. You basically have known the other tech for 1 year... but do you really know him ? A lot of partnerships fail in the first few years, just as do marriages... What is your support like, ie will your family back you/support you through thick and thin, if living at home as i am guessing you are, at least the rent should be cheap ;) The prospect of running your own business is exciting and very challenging. But look at it this way, so is jumping out of a plane. ie there is a risk involved, have you identified them ? just my 2 cents