Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sming

Cx-One and VirtualBox

7 posts in this topic

Hi There We're planning to run our development software (in this case Cx-One V3) in virtual machines in the future. Now we've tested a lot of virtualization tools. Our favorite is VirtualBox, because it runs very fast and stable. We now set up a virtual machine with WinXP SP2. Cx-One works very fine, but only via USB and Ethernet. The serial communication in Cx-Programmer V8 with Toolbus for example doesn't work. We've tested the serial port with a modem and hyperterminal, this works fine. Does anybody have a solution for this problem? We've also tested with VMWare Workstation: Cx-One works also, including all serial communications! Thanks a lot for your help! Sascha Edited by sming

Why???? I am running CX-One (the latest version) straight on Vista and it is fine - have absolutely no problems. I reserve Virtual Box strictly for things that will not run on Vista.

Not really helpful! It seems you can't understand why we want to run Cx-One in a virtual machine? The reason, why to run virtual machines with development software is because it decreases the performance of your OS with every update! The last update from omron was a corrupt one (Cx-Programmer ran very slowly!) and we had to wait for a patch about 3 Weeks! In a virtual machine you just switch to the last snapshot.. I'm sure that Cx-One runs on Vista very well, the problem I have is in a virtual machine!

Bob, I have to agree. Why complicate the TV dinner....

My major problem with Omron software is it does not have a proper uninstall function - neither does a lot of other software. I swear by Registery Mechanic. When I get a downloaded update I always run Registery Mechanic to clean out all the rubbish left in the registery. When I bought the upgrade to version 3 I went through hell installing the new version in Vista. I finished up uninstalling everything first, ran Registery Mechanic, restarted the computer, installed CX-One - and it still found some stuff it wanted to uninstall. However, by doing what I do I have not had any problems running on Vista at all. May I ask what you do when you update Windows or Vista? Or Office or anything else? Pretty hard to run everything inside Virtual Box! Wow - CAD software, CD/DVD writing software, firewall, virus scanner, etc etc all running in Virtual Box? I don't think so.

I'm trying VBox, I've installed Windows XP (guest) on a Windows XP (host). I've installed on both CX-one from Omron, and I'm trying to communicate with a CP1 PLC over USB connection. This is a direct connection, but I had to install some drives on both systems On my host, every thing works fine. On my guest, 1st time (after boot-up) it detects the PLC (make connection over USB) and the “USB LED” blinks a little, after that it should continue communicating BUT the “USB LED” stops blinking and I get a timeout. After that it stops communicating, USB LED never blinks again until reboot. I don’t know how or way, but I was able to fully communicate once, after a lot of tries and changes, but after reboot (with out any change) it stopped communicating after 1st PLC detection. USB LED just doesn’t blink. You say that you USB connection works fine, what did you do?

Iv'e run CAD through virtual box just fine thanks bobbbbbyyy. Also devolped Citect Version 5 application as well in virtual box ;) and run AB software for VB. The USB thing with virtual box... I have found that I need to let the host computer recognise the USB device fully. (this goes with memory sticks as well.) then on the vbox go to the USB interface - right click and activate the USB device. For RS232 comms on the virtual box i use the Omron CIF31 (USB to RS232 convertor) (even with AB PLC's) works super well. Only had problems when i have not given time to the host system to recognise the device first. BTW bobb next time i install siemens (uuugghhhh) it will be on virtual box.