Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
malc cope

Remote Connection to 5/04

6 posts in this topic

Hi I have a requirement to connect remotely to a SLC 5/04 one of my clients sites. The setup there is the SLC connected via DH to a PC using a 1784-PKTX card, the pc is running RSView version 7, there is a modem connected to this PC but there is no direct modem access to the SLC, any help/comments will be appreciated MC

you can use the serial port of 5/04 to set up the Modem for the remote connection. Modem with Pc won,t work for online with 5/04

Can you connect thru the modem and remote administrate the PC? If the PC has Rslogix installed then a remote Administration program {PCanywhere, RADMIN, GOTOMYPC, etc} would allow you to work with the SLC but the work would actually be done in the remote pc. If you msut have the code on your local to you laptop and connect to the SLC then I;d suggest a 1761-Net-ENI for the Serial Port of the SLC, connect the SLC to the Remote Location Intranet and a VPN conenction to the Remote Location Intranet from your internet connection. The modem on the Serial port of SLC also works if you don't mind 9600 baud. THis is the fastest pratical speed I've ever been able to use over USa phone lines.

Thanks for that. We do have remote access to the PC but we do not have RSLogix installed. We can and probably will use a second modem connected to the serial port of the SLC but unfortuneately there is only 1 phone line into the installation. Obviously it is possible to switch the phone line between the two modems, the only problem with this is that the site is for the most part unmanned, so really all I was trying to do was improve remote support with what was available. The second modem in reality will be a solution that will improve what we have but unfortuneately not give us what would be ideal.

I would install Logix on the PC with RSView and use VNC or equivalent for the remote access. Then you don't need a person at the site to swap the phone lines for you to allow access. I am hesitant to leave a phone line connected to a PLC serial port anyway, since it will be available to hackers, telemarketers, etc :) It is probably a good idea to use a good security scheme for the access you'll have in either case. JMHO PEC

Rereading your first post got me to thinking. Check with your Ab rep about RSLinx Gateway. Installing this on the remote PC might get you connectivity. It is a long shot and I don't have the data.