Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ianbuckley

Multiple high current outputs

4 posts in this topic

I have a project where I need to control 8 high current (-4.25A) outputs from a brick style PLC. Obviously, I can't do this directly from a solid state output from a brick. The outputs cycle too often to consider relay type outputs. At this point, I am trying to see if there is something better than 8 separate hockey puck solid state relays or a custom part. Does anyone know of any off-the-shelf standalone parts that could accept (8)24vdc inputs and drive (8) 24vdc outputs at this current level?

visit www.digikey.com and look for solid state relays such as Omron G3NA-D210B-DC5-24. this is 10A solid state relay, input is 5-24VDC, output is 4-220VDC. heat sink with DIN rail mount is R99-12... should cost some $50 for pair ssr+sink.

I've always seen it done with a bank of SSR's side by side. The Eurotherm SSR Relay and the Offering from Crouzet have been used.

Ian, A couple of questions... 1. Is the 4.25 amps a continuous load or inrush? 2. What controller are you currently using? The quick answer is interfacing 8 solid state relays to the PLC, as suggested above. We offer a solid state controller that will handle an 8 amp inrush on a 24 VDC load and a 2 amp continuous rating. The base configuration is 16 / 16. Information can be found at www.entertron.com/elite.htm If you have any questions, feel free to post or call. Hope this helps. God Bless, Edited by entertron