Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newpageboba

RSTrainer for RSLinx Software

7 posts in this topic

I am looking to purchase 'RSTrainer for RSLinx Software' (9393-RSTLINX). Are their any opinions out there. Is it worth spending $$ on. I use RSLinx a lot, but every time we have issues I guess at what the diagnostics mean (the help is incomplete). I would like some formal training and all Rockwell offers is a CD-Rom. Does anyone know of other available RSLinx training ? Any opinions (positive or negative) would be appreciated.

I would talk to your local Rockwell Rep and Distributor and see what they offer. The will occasionally offer free seminars Also I don't know where you are located but Automation Fair is coming up in Baltimore, Maryland. There will be labs, seminars, the latest products and much more http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=8965

I work at a paper mill (NewPage Corp.) in Rumford, Maine. I oversee the Process Control infrastructure. Our distributor is Horizon in Portland, ME, but these guys don't live with RSLinx like we do. They usually just set it up and walk away. I need to train the I.T. group, engineers and the electricians. I was going to Baltimore, but it management is tightening the purse strings and we can't go to any Vendor smoozing. Can't seem to make management understand that this more than smoozing. Seems like the closest I can come to Automation Fair is Mr. PLC & Rockwell's web site. I asked one of Rockwell's field service guys about this RSTrainer but haven't heard from him yet.

I think Maine would probably be too far to get Ken Roach to go and do a training session And I can understand the management not liking the additional travel expense but I believe it would be well worth the training. But that is something that you would have to convince the Bo$$ of In what manner to you use the RsLinx in? Would it be possible to right some code into your VB script or what ever you are using to help diagnose the problems. This is no substitute for training but just throwing out some other ideas to reduce your downtime

We have never had any training. It is all from experience. I have set a lot of standards. We have about 100 PLC5, SLC & Logix (also PLC3) installations with RSLogix5, 500 & 5000 installed everywhere. One of my job functions is to make sure the RSSoftware works reliably. I work closely with the I.T. Group & my coworkers (engineers). In fact I am involved in upgrading our Process Control Network. We also have 40 RSView installations. Trying to keep up on the latest software, new developments, etc. really is a project on its own. Whenever we have comm problems, I usually get involved. I have troubleshot problems from bad network switches, network outages to Blue Hose connectionss, failed PLC components and even bad PCs. Getting a better understanding of RSLinx, the diagnostics and the features it has would be of great benefit to myself and our facility. I was hoping the RSTrainer was a good product, and I need to justify it to management.

I have used the rstrainer for rslinx. it is for the very basics of rslinx. if you are already familiar with rslinx the rstrainer probably wont help you much.

You know RsLinx is one of those that I have never ran across the user manual for. I have only seen the "Getting Results" Does anyone have a link?