Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kyle

JIC symbol 2001

10 posts in this topic

I recently downloaded the JIC symbol software and like the setup because of the ability to share it with my coworkers so we all have the same symbols to work with. Because i frequently draw symbols in autocad, I was wondering how to add other symbols to the JIC symbol software. If I can't add symbols to the JIC symbol software could someone point me in the right direction to creating a similar setup to it in which i could add as many symbols as i want. I have AutoCAD light and have used the cui command to try and make something similar to the JIC symbol setup and have looked at some of its code to see if there was a way to add my slides and drawings.

Basically what you have to do is make drawings of each symbols is step one. step two is make a SLIDE file for each one, you can export slides within AutoCad or use the Slide.exe file in the download. Do some research on how to make that. Then you need to make a MNU file in notepad. Map and structure your menu like you need. Make sure you have DWG files and SLD (slide) files to support your custom menu. Next type menuload in Autocad and load your menu. If you have already loaded the menu, you need to unload the menu, then find the MNS file and delete it. When you load a MNU file, autocad creates a MNS file. Then each time the menu loads it executes the MNS file, not the original MNU file. If I make a change to the menu, I delete the MNS file so next time I restart autocad, it forces autocad to read my MNU file and make a new MNS file. Just keep do that over and over until you got your menu like you like it. You can share your MNS file on a network resource if you want and have each work station reference this MNS file so everyone has an exact copy of the custom menu, and you can make changes to one menu and it's global. Just remember to delete any other files except your MNU file.

Where does autocad normally save the .mns file and would it be labeled jic.mns. The other thing is i have been using the command line to create the slides is there an actual program that would create slides quicker from the .dwg files.

It creates the files where you have the MNS file located. It creates three, MNC, MNR, MNS. Delete all three to start over. The slide maker is included in the download. Look for it in the blocks folder: slidelib.exe Read this for more information: http://www.ccadinc.com/tips/imagemenus.html

Could you explain how to display an image of the symbol in the menu. My symbols say no icon. Edited by kyle

That's what the slide file is for. You need to make a slide file for each of your dwg files. Then reference that slide file in your custom menu. Check out that link again. I thought it did a pretty job explaning how it works.

Yey, your sure did, i certainly learnt a thing or 2

I am still confused as to how to complete this task i created 4 dwg files naming them 1 2 3 and 4 then did mslide and got 1.sld 2 3 4. i then ran the slidelib program the added the files to my menu. the same way you have them in the jic symbols but i recieve a no icon. Am i doing something out of order? I am also deleting the other 2 files that auto cad creates before loading the new updated menu.

I think I know what might be the problem... In AutoCad, did you add a PATH to your blocks and slides? Under Tools, Options Select a working path of DWG and SLD files. Then restart AutoCad one time so the path varible takes effect.

The problem is still there with the new slides 1,2,3,4 not having icons in the menu. Could it be that I am making the slide library incorrectly?