Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Northernboy

Problems with PLC5/04 to Delta V

7 posts in this topic

I am trying to setup a Delta V to AB SLC05/04 and having problems. I can read the SLC registers but cannot write to them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks NB

Which registers you trying to write too? Which channel you going across?

Registers N7:100 to N7:108 through channel 0 the RS-232 port.

I have never used the Delta V but that is strange. I thought maybe you were trying to write to the status file or something. The N data files should be as easy to write to as they are to read from. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you but it is Saturday so it may take longer.

I had the same problem with Honeywell TDC3000 EPLCG to SLC5. I replaced the SLC with ControlLogix. The problem was with Honeywell's driver. I would talk to Delta V people and confirm that they can communicate using the same hardware you have. Honeywell said they could talk to AB but when I researched I found they had never done it using EPLCG to SLC. Good Luck

The ONLY way to solve this conclusively is with a protocol analyzer. Emerson and Rockwell will point fingers at one another endlessly, and with good reason (I have had very bad experiences with DeltaV serial comms). Get a PC with two serial ports, get in touch with Emerson and Rockwell technical support groups, and decide on an analyzer/capture package. I use HHD Software's SerialMon for inexpensive and simple analysis, and Frontline Test Equipment's analyzer for more complicated stuff. Meanwhile, check the properties of the Integer file and make sure it's not write-protected. Describe also how you know you can't write to the N7 data table elements. Is it because the data "doesn't show up" in the SLC, or because of an error code you see in the DeltaV software ? Edited by Ken Roach

Here is some free software I use it all the time http://www.taltech.com/news/breakout.htm You will need to build this cable. The pin numbers got messed up when I pasted it into paint 1 is on the right. This is the data between a hand scanner and a PCM (sorry its GE)