Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PdL

Omron's new Industrial PC - DyaloX

6 posts in this topic

Omron has introduced the DyaloX, a new industrial PC with the reliability you are used to with PLC and HMIs. I have seen the first production model a few months ago and I must say I am quite impressed what the answer from Omron is to the most drawbacks people have with existing IPCs. Flash memory disk (1GB/2GB), fanless heatsink cooling. The mainboard is designed and produced by Omron. Expecially the diagnostic board, which is called RAS (Reliability, Availability and Safety) is impressive. The graphic interface for this board is XP but the board itself runs independant on it's own processor. Extension options are Devicenet, CLK PCI cards, and an interface for CS1 extension backplanes. How about 3 years full and 7 years repair guarantee! All this comes with a price of course, which is well over 5000 US$. That's a big dissapointment. If Omron wants to compete with other IPCs they definitely need to cut down on the price. I can easily replace a regular IPC if it breaks down twice for this price. It will be hard to convince a customer the benefits against the pricing. Most likely a box version without display panel will be launched in this series too. Review the full article here.

I think that the product that was released is definately a product that has a place in the market. The price may be higher but the price you mention is a list price. If you look a IPC's with the same spec's (RAS board is unique to OMRON) from of Siemens, Beckhoff or Pro-face it is in the same price range. Products like from Advantec have lower list prices but also much lower discounts.

I knew this would get a discussion going... Welcome on the forums MikeyMike! Always a pleasure to see a fellow Dutchman participating. Of course I understand all good things come with a price for a reason... but like I said it will be difficult to convince the customer. The customer does not see a RAS board, flash disk or 7 years warranty. The customer sees a IPC like any other, at least until he has seen one working without problems straight 24/7 for 2 years. That's always a problem. From your defensive post and the Den Bosch location I asume you're close to the Omron fire, any idea when/if the box version will be introduced ?

So does this thing function as the NS screen and the PC? If so I can see a huge use for it in our factory where every machine we make has a PLC, 2-3 NS Screens, and a PC. Depending on the interfaceability with the omron PLCs (meaning it needs to be more capable than what a normal PC can do) this could really be cost effective to replace 1 of the 2-3 NS screens with.

Is this supposed to be a step up from the NSJ's? Chris, have you compared the NSJ's with what you are using?

No, I was not even aware of the NSJ... I will head over to omron's website and check into it. Edit: I went to check it out, and the NSJ would meet some of our needs, as we could replace the PLC and one NS screen with the NSJ, but unfortunately we would still need to have a PC attached. Hopefully the DyaloX will be the next step up with all the features of the NSJ and the added bonus on integrating a PC. Edited by ChrisKozanecki