Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wrenchforhire

cable adapter

4 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me the part number for an Allen Bradley cable to connect RS232 to 8 pin mini DIN, or if there is an adapter available? Or is there another way to talk to a SLC500 with a panelview installed? Not ethernet Thanks

I would be careful if I were you. Based on the limited information given, I believe you may have a SLC 5/04 PLC, it's the only SLC model I can think of that has a mini DIN connector. On the 5/04, the mini DIN connector is for DH+ (Data Highway Plus) communications, it is not a serial connection. AB sells products that allow laptops and desktops to connect to DH+ networks, but they are expensive. If your application allows, the cheapest solution is to disconnect the panelview and use the RS-232 port for PLC access. It will most likely be configured for DF1 or DH485.

Thanks for the warning, I don't like the idea of smoking anything. In the past I have just disconnected the panelview, but I have seen other programmers who where able to get online and leave the panelview running, just didn't know how they did it, if there was some type of "Y" connection or something. J

What you are probably seeing people do is use a something such as a 1784-PCMK card and connect to channel 1 (round) DH+ and using pass through to come out on channel 0 and goto the Panelview.