Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TConnolly

CX-One or CX-Programmer

7 posts in this topic

I've been programming PLCs for over 20 years yet I've never used an Omron before - but that is about to change. Most likely a CPM2A family processor. We don't get to choose the processor, it will be speced. I have been tossed out of the frying pan and into the fire. I have a few questions. 1) Do I need CX-one? What is the difference between CX-one and CX-programmer? It seems that CX-one is the premium all inclusive package. Is the salesman just trying to sell me extra things I don't really need? I'm just programming the PLC. 2) CPM2 security. It looks like from a search of the forum that I can secure my program in the CPM2A PLC, but I don't see anything in the documentation? Can I OEM lock the program? (There is a very good reason for doing this which I cannot elaborate on here - so please no lectures about locking programs, like it or not, this one must be locked.) I spotted a couple of threads where it was stated that four incorrect password guesses would lock out the PLC and another where this was claimed to be a myth. Which is it? I need to know that this unit will be secure. All in all that probably is a bit ridiculous because even with secure code a determined person could sit down and watch the LED lights and write a software specification from which a functionally identical program could be written, but its not like I have the liberty to to choose on this job. Edited by Alaric

CX-ONE is an inclusive software package. It is the foundation of the direction OMRON is going. CX-PROGRAMER is a part of the CX-ONE software package. The previous cost of CX-Programer was about the same $$$ that CX-ONE costs. You get a HUGH bang for your buck these days. Unfortunately you cannot buy just CX-Programmer by itself these days. You are not being jerked around by a commission compensated sales type trying to make a buck at your expense. Once you get CX-ONE in your possession and you see what it truly can do, you will be pleased and amazed. You will have the ability to password protect you program. You should get your hands on all of the manuals for the specific CPU you are doing to get the best documentation. You can download and print it, but you will spend more $$$ in ink than the manual costs.

1. There use to be a cx-prog jnr version which can only program the CPM1/2 series of PLC's.... However, given teh choice i would go with CX-one... 2. The 5 attempt thing is with the CQM1H PLC and yes it will lock you out.... The CPM2A can be protected with a 4 Hex digit password....a very clever cookie could possibly crack it....(but it is not that easy.... A CJ1 / CP1H i don;t beleveve could be hacked.... perhaps you client could use the CP1H (also uses expansion IO from the CPM1 range ...

Hello Alaric, As Sleepy states, you can password protect your program within a CPM PLC. You need to use a specific instruction within your ladder program (it must be in the first rung) and that is FUN49. The 3 operands of this instruction need to be 0, 0, #xxxx. (where xxxx is your 4 digit HEX password). The instruction must be preceded with a N/O contact at address AR10.01. FUN49.bmp

Thanks for the information guys. Primarily I'm an AB guy, but I've also got quite a bit of Modicon experience, Mistsubishi, and some GE, and just a touch of Koyo. I've been looking at the manuals I downloaded and it appears to be fairly straight forward. Are there any "gotchas" that I should look out for coming from an AB and Modicon background?

I had a limited usage with SLC-500 APS did some hardware work on PLC 2's and 5's and was learning PLC Direct when I got involved with OMRON PLC's again. My first PLC was a C20. I have found CX-Programer is fairly intuitive and the tech support is the best from any manufacturer I have ever called for help. You can customize the icon bars to suit your needs and preferences. Anything you did with AB you can do with OMRON. Some of the OMRON guru's hang out here and at plcs.net too so help is not far away.

Have a look at this thread, i outlined a number of diff.s in here.. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopi...l=Sleepy+Wombat BTW if your into short cut keys for programming then you'll love the Omron software ;)