Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
heron8888

connecting to basic module

14 posts in this topic

I no longer have a pic unit , and would like to know how to upload/download programs to a basic module,I have usb converter and the standard rs232 leads can it be done?

Looking at the cable I use with a USB to serial adapter.. pin 2 to pin 3 pin 3 to pin 2 pin 7 to pin 7 pins 4, 5, and 6 are shorted (Computer Side) Not sure if this is necessary?? Normally I just use hyperterminal, you may need to put a charecter and line delay in the ASCII setup menu though depending on the speed of your computer Edited by TechJunki

i tried with hyperterminal aand it showed connected but could not upload a file from module still no luck connecting with allen bradleys program either I guess ill just have to get another pic unit

When you get connected to the module you should see a > charecter in the terminal window. Just type "list" and the program will be displayed in the terminal window. Then just copy and paste to notepad. Just to verify, you are asking about a 1771-DB Basic Module?? Edited by TechJunki

its a 1746 bas module in a rack with 5/03 cpu i am trying to upload download via dh485 rj45 connection i previously did this with pic unit i have abbaic software

Dou you get the ">" character in hyperterminal when you connect to it?

not sure will have to check later at work

Hmmmm... Reading your original post, it sounds like you are using a USB-to-RS232 adapter. But then you talk about wainting to use the PIC module... This may be your problem: The PIC will not work with a USB-to-serial adapter! It must plug directly into a built-in serial port. If your computer did not come with one then you will not be able to use the PIC.

And if Gravitar is correct you should be able to connect with the 1747-UIC

You should be able to configure port 1 as a the program port using JW4 and then access the program directly using RS232/425, RS422 or RS485 (set configuration on JW1). Communication settings wll be 1200 baud, no parity, 8 data bits and 1 stop bit. Regards Mike

thanks msward i will give that a try although the machines have a program that uses port 1 and 2 i am not using the pic with usb converter i have serial ports on laptop but on the allen bradley program it only gives the option of com 1 or 2 in 485 terminal mode my usb adapter selects com 5

Although I haven't actually confirmed it to fail, I suspect this old DOS program wouldn't be able to make use of the UIC. I suppose one day when I'm really bored I could try it :)

Would the hyperterminal work like Techjunki was talking about?

Just about the only thing you can do with PBASE that you can't do with hyperterminal (or equivalent) is connect to the DH485 port. It looks like PBASE was supposed to let you use a C compiler, but that was either never implemented or it was an add-on module for more $$. You can program it just fine with your terminal emulator of choice, but you can only connect through the RS232 ports.