Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moltra

Remote programming of controllogix PLC

12 posts in this topic

I am trying to figure out how to connect to a controllogic plc at ip address 191.168.101.1 255.255.255.0 when the IT lan is on 192.168.100.x 255.255.255.0. I know I can change my computers IP address to 192.168.101.15 and connect no problem when I am physically connected to the IT LAN. What I need to be able to do is connect to the PLC when I am out of town or not physically at the plant. I can connect to the company LAN via Check Point SecuRemote Service software via the internet. What I need to know is how to connect to the PLC throught this connection or any other way that might be easier. I would appreciate any and all help with this.

The way I normally do this is to leave my computer IP on the Office Lan, then go under advanced TCP/IP settings and add another IP using the add button, this will then broadcast that ip into another network allowing you to connect to other devices. EDIT-- your IP addresses will be where the black boxes are, I created the boxes to erase my ip's from view... for obvious reasons. Edited by TechJunki

I use a router to bridge the two networks. You should not have the a PLC hooked to the office network. PLCs don't like multicast packets among other things. PCs don't like the constant polling that PLCs do. This can really become a problem when bandwidth is an issue

Any idea how I can connect when I am not in the plant?

You say you can connect to the Office network from offsite. Is that correct? From there setup the router to route from the office network to the plant network

We have a programming PC setup with remote desktop (Windows XP pro). We then use remote desktop from anywhere to access the PC and do any software mods/monitoring. We have used VNC but remote desktop is so much quicker, and is just like being sat at the PC.

I am doing the same thing as snorkel. I have a server at work with XP pro and remote desktop that I can access from home or across the country. A couple of weeks ago while taking Ron’s course I need to get access and I was able to use the hotels wireless network and my laptop. I second the opinion that remote desktop is much faster then VPN. Hope this helps, Bob

To do that do you need two copys of RSLogix 5000?

No. When you connect through remote desktop you are actually on the computer you are connecting to so you will be using the software on that computer. Therefore, RSLogix5000 would have to be installed on the computer you are connecting to, not on the one you are using to dial in with. Clear as mud? A side note is that I have not been able to start RSLogix500 using remote desktop [i get an error] but that has not been an issue with me since I keep it running in the tool bar. I think I could find out why I cannot but at this time, it is not an issue with me. Hope this helps, Bob

how about security access to PLC how it will done

Not sure how IT has that set-up. My guess would be they don’t have it set-up too secure but we have never had any issues and it is more reliable then a lot of other stuff they do.