Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
credard

Pcmk/b Driver Blues...

5 posts in this topic

I am running RSLinx Pro w/ XP Pro. My PCMK/B card has been in use on this laptop for over two years with no problems. A couple of weeks ago, I got a "New hardware found" message on bootup, and it appeared that no driver was present for the card. I downloaded the lastest driver from the AB website.. it seemed to load properly, but I get a "code 10 error" when it starts. Starting the driver manualy from Linx shows an error. I investigated the code 10 error, and the AB knowledge base gives instructions on viewing the conflict via the "Resource" tab in the Device Manager dialogue. However, this tab is not present for this device, as it is with the mouse, keyboard, etc. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

So does the PCMK show up at all in the Windows device manager?

Whenever something like this happens with any device, I: uninstall the driver use Microsoft's Windows Install Clean Up tool to rid the drive of all of the install files and scripts for that particular installation re-install the driver Also, make sure your virus and spyware protection is up to date. Another good tool is Registry Mechanic. It will clean up the registry of anything that's not needed, etc. Edited by jstolaruk

I think you might have to take a more practical and pessimistic approach. If you didn't change anything in your PC or add other PCMCIA type drivers, it's more likely that your 1784-PCMK has failed internally. Get the PnP drivers loaded on another PC and pop the card in.... if it doesn't do a normal PnP installation then your card has failed. I recommend a PC that belongs to somebody who signs the checks. :) I have 1784-PCMK/A cards that I've been using for 10 years and they're working fine, but sometimes you just can't predict electronic mortality. Just my two cents. I've only had one A-B card fail on me in a decade, and that was a 1784-PCD that was connected to a network that suffered voltage spikes.

Yesterday I tried the PCMK in a friend's computer and it worked fine. I started looking at the PCMIA card controller, a TI PCI7510. I am suspecting that it is the problem. I purchased a brand new PCMIA Media reader ( cause I kinda need one and it was the cheapest PCMIA card product) and it has not worked properly either.