Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
patb63

Rsview Mystery Addressing

14 posts in this topic

Sorry if this is something simple and I'm wasting your time. I'm working on an existing RSView32 system; there are two PCs and three PLC-5/40 processors involved. The system is connected by a ethernet adapters and data highway. My question is this: The address for a certain item in the PLC is B201:7/1, but, the same item in the RSView tag database is labeled B46:7/1. Another item has the address B3:15/1 in the PLC and B54/21 in RSView. I'm not always an idiot, but how is this dual addressing on a working system possible?

Is it possible that the PLC data is being copied to a buffering file for RSView? In other words, somewhere in the PLC program an instruction something like COP #B46:0 #B201:0 100 will exist. RSView reads and writes are asynchronous to the PLC scan so some programmers buffer the RSView data. Buffering may also necessary if both HMIs are trying to control the same thing in the PLC. There are other advantages to buffering as well such as optimizing communications or perhaps the system once used something else besides RSView for an HMI. But thats the first thing I would look at, to see if the bits are being copied and buffered. Edited by Alaric

Alaric, That was my first thought also, but I can't find any such reference in the program. Also, there are timers using the 46 address (T46:1, T46:2, etc). Thanks for your help, though. PatB

There is nothing wrong with timers using the 46 data file. As for B201, have you just looked through the program or have you done a cross reference on the data file?

First question, I guess I'm confused. If you identify an address (46) as a timer (T46), how could you address it from RSView as B46? I thought if it was addressed as a timer file, it would always be associated as a timer file in the program. Also, I've run a cross reference, searched the program, etc. and still only see the B201:7/1 used in the PLC-5 program as the "Lane Full" memory location, and in the RSView program, the "Lane Full" tag from the PLC is identified as B46:7/1.

This might be a dumb question.... But have you checked the node for the RSView tag to make sure it is pointing to the PLC you think it is pointing to?

If it is not against your company policy, you might want to post your RsView file and RsLogix file. It would make it easier to explain. Never mind the T46, missed the B46

Alaric, Not a dumb question at all, but I have checked. TWControls, Will check and see if I can post the two programs. They are not ours, but the customer may allow me to post. Thanks to both of you for trying to help

Does this help? (I tried to edit post to make it more readable, but my expertise is lacking there, too) RSView Tag info (from exported tag file): Tag Type Tag Name Tag Description Node Name Address D Rapi\Alarm01 SS1411 Misplaced Shoe LS1 PLC B46:7/1 PLC Rung: SOR XIC B3/5 OTE B201/113 EOR B3:0 B201:7 |------} {--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------( )----------| 5 1 Edited by patb63

I apologize, but your last post is not making any sense to me

Can you do a quick test by triggering B201/113 in the plc and see if the indicator B46:7/1 changes at the HMI?

On thing about posting, you know you can put images with your post? I think this is what your rung was meant to say

TWControls, You're correct, that was what I meant to say/show. Firetubes, I will be on-site next week and will try your suggestion.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but there is a problem with using the find function in PLC-5s. If you search for the addresses B201:7/1 or B46:7/1, it will not find these within COP instructions. I.e. if there is a rung containing COP B201:0 to B46:0 with length of 8, searching for B201:7/1 will not pick this rung up. You may have to search for all COP instructions or for all references of "B201:" to fully check the program. If the RSView32 node is correct then i think what the others have said is the only possibility - there is some form of SCADA buffering being performed within the PLC code using a COPY or similar array-based instruction (pretty common practice for several reasons, including holding alarms on for a minimum period of time so SCADA can detect them). Edited by pumpkins