Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skidog

MCSS software for windows

6 posts in this topic

We use the CVM500 series PLC's here to control our tandem press line. Scattered throughout the line are various modules that require special software to program and operate them. One such device is the Omron Basic module and another is the CVM500-MC221 Motor Controller. With all the changes taking place in the PC world ie; CPU speeds and software, some feel it is necessary to upgrade everything constantly just to keep up. I don't go along with this, I think you should check all your machine interface applications using the new software first before you upgrade, and to quote many a maintenance man "If it's working ok now leave it be!". I said all that to say the following. Our PC's here were upgraded to Win XP and now we can only communicate with these specialty devices using a laptop loaded with Win98SE. The programs used for the basic module and the motor controller are DOS based. Have these programs been upgraded to work with windows? If so, can I download them or do we have to purchase them from our local rep? I've sent an email to our local rep but thought I would post it here in case someone else is thinking of upgrading their windows PC.

Have you tried them in compatability mode? I have been able to get a lot of DOS programmes working in compatability mode in XP. The only thing you want to watch is they they tend not too like USB/serial converters. I have been able to get some to work with the converter by changing the com port number in device manager. USB converters are usually set with a com number 4 or above and most DOS programmes will only address up to COM2.

That did the trick with the laptop, the Dells dont come with a seriel port now, unless you specify you need one. Only one of our Inspiron 8200's have such a port. The MCSS software will run under XP but all attempts to communicate with the MC unit have failed. I can link to any one of the PLC's out there on the net through Syslink and I can hook to the rack with the MC unit directly using the host link port but still no luck with the MCSS software. Tonight is another night however, we'll drop back and punt I suppose. I still wonder if there are windows based programs for these devices, maybe I'll hear something today from our local rep.

Skidog: There is a Omron software product known as CX-Motion which is Windows-based. It does require a license. See what your Omron rep can do for you. Regarding the CV-Basic module, Windows Hyperterminal should work fine with CV500-BSC11/31/51. I prefer old Windows 3.1 terminal. If you can find it, it will run fine in WinXP.

Thanks Jay, I hope to hear from Mark this afternoon.

I use partition magic with a triple boot setup. Winxp/win95 and DOS. Surprisingly I use DOS alot!!