Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gue

Rugged Controlnet Connector

10 posts in this topic

I have an application where two machines are power and network connected. It has to be possible to disconnect them several times a day (to make them indepent). The environment for this machines is a harsh one with a lot of dust (conductive dust) and steam. Does anyone know of a controlnet connectors suitable for this application?

ControlNet is good for fast, reliable connection if data needs to be guarantee delivered on timely basis. But by disconnecting trunk cable you will bring whole network down. ControlNet does not like this. You need to look at the Ethernet/IP as alternative - is it not guarantee 100% delivery, but because it's fast re-tries may cover packet loss as well. Also you may look at wireless ethernet connection. Just remeber, prodiced/consumed model is not very friendly with wireless - MSG should be used and all other multicast traffic isolated from the wireless using IGMP snooping.

While each application is a bit different, in your applicaiton would it be feasible to enable/disable the coms to the machines in software rather than physically pulling the connector? Perhaps via a PV maintenance screen or add a discreet input from a key switch?

The two machines have to be physically disconnected for maintenance purposes. One continuos working while the other is checked and repaired. Te master machine powers the slave machine and there are only this two machines in the network (each one with a separate PLC). My problem is the mechanical connection and disconnection, I have industrial connectors for the power but I don't know of rough enough network connectors for this hard environment. Thanks.

Do they share same ControlNet trunk line? If yes whole controlNet will be down is disconnected. Did you look at fiber ControlNet? It may be easier to fined firber connectors I guess. Like I said this is incorrect controlNet application IMHO. If machines shared data only, you can use Ethernet.

There is only one network connection between the two PLCs. When the two machines are disconnected one continues working alone and the other remains stopped in the garage for maintenance.

I think the question is would changing the network type be an option or does it have to be Controlnet

I don't know why ControlNet was selected in a first place to send data between machines. Assuming you need to send large amount of time critical data between machines ControlNet may be right application. I am big fan of ControlNet if it applied correctly, but I really think that Ethernet/IP can be used in your application, based on information you provided so far. Also did you look at wireless industrial ethernet? It does not have performance that wired ethernet has, but may be good solution for your application.

Note that Contr_Conn said industrial Ethernet. This does not mean you can run down to you local office supply store and pick up a couple of wireless access points. Ethernet/IP messaging will not work over them. You would have to uses a something like Prosoft or Datalink Edited by TWControls

The two machines travel together trough a path with an "electrical shaft". The traslation of the two machines is made by means of frequency converters and they must be syncronized in speed. The network connection is mainly for this purpose, speed setpoint from the master and position feedback from the slave. I have used wireless industrial ethernet in other applications but wired connection is prefered in this case.