Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gravitar

Looking For The Dh485 "amp" Connectors

16 posts in this topic

I'm sure you guys know which ones I'm talking about.. The ones that are similar to an RJ45 but not quite the same. Thery're surely made by AMP as they're all marked that way, but I've yet to see a part number. Anyone have luck finding these? I've got some Medar board I'd like to fix, and they use this same connector that A-B uses for DH485.

Try jameco they have tons of connectors, even the pins to go in them. but requst a catlog because they do not show everything on the web for some reason. good luck!!!!!!!!! here is a female of what i think you are asking for Edited by David Nelson

Thanks for the tip, I probably even have a Jameco catalog around somewhere. The link you posted is for an RJ45, unfortunately that's not what this is. I'll take a picture of one, it is common for SLC 500s but seemingly nothing else.

Digikey ( www.digikey.com ) carries a large selection of AMP/Tyco product. Not sure how many boards you need to repair and how much the boards you are reparing are worth, but if the medar boards are really valuable and the quantity small it may be worth considering just picking up a used slc 5/02 on ebay to steal the connector. Looks like they come up fairly often for about $30.

This is not RJ45, this is an AMP connector on the PIC and 1747-AIC I was looking for this connector 3 years ago to replace a broken PIC cable without any results. I am not sure if they sell it now. It may be a special design for A-B only like MiniDIN8 on micrologix Edited by Contr_Conn

I need to get in good with an AMP sales rep :) Especially since I also noticed that the PCMK series A card connector also has "AMP" molded into it! (under the stick-on covers) And as long as we're on a tangent, I saw a listing for a 1784-PCM6 "replacement" cable with an ICOM logo on it.. I think it is safe to say that the connectors WERE available on the open market then, if not now, because A-B and ICOM were not friends before the buyout.. I don't think A-B was supplying them connectors to build competitive products with! As for the 8-pin MiniDIN, I can tell you that these **ARE** available on the open market. At least they were 5 years ago or so when I bought some. I wish for the life of me I could remember the name of the company that I got them from.. I found them on the internet, it was like "American Cable" or something. (I remember a patriotic theme) I've still got one of the do-it-yourself miniDIN plug kits if anyone wants to see it. As for sacrificing an older SLC for the connector, unfortunately the SLCs themselves have the RJ45 socket, not this (Insert Name Here) modular plug made by AMP! I do have a junk Medar card that I'll probably desolder the connector from.. I'll be able to get one more of our teach pendants running that way. Oh, and BTW anything that says Medar or Robotron on it is expensive! :) (when you buy it new from WTC anyway)

A-B uses specially made 8 pin miniDIN connectors with key in different location compare to a standard connector. 3 years ago I was not able to find them. Fortunately is was at my old workplace - I don't need this anymore...

Sorry to add to the confusion. The only thing I have seen for 485 that looks like RJ 45 has been on the SLCs. If the connector from a PIC box works let me know since there is one at the shop with bad connection in the ribbon cable part that will hit the trash one of these days. I am sad to hear about the lack of 8 pin micorlogix plugs since I had been thinking of making a custom cable for an upcoming panel from PV300 micro to Micrologix 1100 since I think 17" will be too short and 2 meters is way too long. I assumed they were aviliable since I see ads for aftermarket serial to micrologix cables floating around.

There are guys making micrologix cables for pretty cheap and selling them on ebay and their own websites. These are small-time operations.. I don't think they'd be selling them if they couldn't buy the connectors through normal off-the-shelf sales. I'll dig out the plug kit I've got, I'm sure it fit a micrologix comm port. And as for the original question, it is the same as the connector on a PIC. If you've got a near-dead PIC module I'd be happy to buy it from you for a nominal sum :)

I use to be involved in one ot these 3-rd party cable operations couple years ago and know really well that standard miniDin will not fit. Chakorules probably can confirm now ;) Connector must be modified to cut standard key off. That why it is sold for $15-$20 and not for $3. We had few discussions here about these connectors some time ago.

I do not have the final say on the PIC's disposal, and the person who does just headed to Nicarauga for 2 weeks, but will get back to you when I know. At least I can look at it on monday and see what the thing looks like. As for the mini din, is it the metal portion that needs to be changed? Wonder how much of a market there would be for field ends? I still have a couple of contacts, one in China and one in the Philipines who managed to make me some small metal and plastic parts really cheap in farily small quantities (around 1000 pcs) from a previous job.

Well I looked at the connector on the pic module and now understand what is being looked for. It appears to be an SDL type connector. Attached is some basic information I found. It appears as if P.N. 1-520459-3 or 5-520459-3 would be close to what you are looking for. About $3.50 special order through digi-key. The difference seems to be what AMP refers to as Key ID letter. On the PIC I am looking at this letter is printed on the top of the part and molded into the part if you look into the socket. The one on the PIC is an A style, but the Medar ones you need may be a bit different. The data sheet does a decent job of documenting this. 520459.pdf ENG_SS_408_9072_A_1_.pdf Edited by hakko808

BY GOD THAT'S IT!!!! You are the man, I went through the whole Newark catalog cover to cover last Saturday and still couldn't find it. The keying letter for the Medar board is C, I took a look at a receptacle on a panelview and it is marked A so they must be different. I will be ordering some samples shortly!

This may be correct connector but did you try to special order QTY 1? If you see minimum order 1080 pcs. and it is not in stock.

www.Mouser.com seam to have 43 in stock, single piece is $4.54 http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=di...e_pcodeid=57228

3-520459-3 looks like the number for a 8 conductor socket with C style keying in the Medar. AB seems to use the A style Keying.1-520459-3. As others have pointed out there could be a minimum order issue. I generally do not pay too much attention to Digi-Keys minimums since they have always managed to get me what I need. Usually just a matter of waiting a week rather than the following day. No luck on the AB mini din. Looks like just a difference in the metal stamping so far. For now I will probally just take a dremel to a standard connector. Not sure why AB feels the need to go from 17" to 2 meters with nothing in between and not offer field connectors.