Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimWilborne

Calling All Gurus, Need Rslinx Ethernet Driver Help

17 posts in this topic

I am having a crazy problem in RsLinx and am looking for some of you to do an experiment for me PLEASE!!!! Requirements (preferable, I take anyone's results at this point) – Windows 2000 that has all the current Windows updates, RsLinx version 2.50.20, and some Ethernet devices you can connect to (I know I am having problems with Standard Panelviews, 1756-EWEBs, 1756-ENBTs, and 1762-L40AWAs going through 1761-NET-ENIs) The last Ethernet driver I added was on 9-27-2005 and it works fine. It was done with RsLinx 2.50.20. I tried to add one on 2-1-2006 and it will not recognize the device and it has a red X through it. I have already tried deleting the harmony files and reloading RsLinx. When I deleted the harmony files all of my drivers had a red X through them and came up as unrecognized devices. I had to put the old harmony files back in place before I could browse the old drivers and go online again. Look at the screen capture below. LSBW2 is the old driver and recognizes 192.168.210.9 as a Micrologix 1200. This is connected through a 1761-NET-ENI. "findme" is a driver I just created. It also goes to 192.168.210.9 but RsLinx will not recognize it. These are identical setups and the new driver should recognize it. It is not a connection issue, the original driver I was trying to add did not exist in RsLinx and had no connections going to it. I also have the same IP address on different drivers in other instances so I know you can do that. Any Ethernet driver I try to add now comes up as an unrecognized device even though I can go online with the old drivers so I know the communications and Plc are Ok. The Ethernet/IP driver does work and I have not firewalls or IP filtering PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING!!! Try adding an additional Ethernet Driver to RsLinx to a device you know exist and see if you have the same problem Has Bill Gates done something to my RsLinx? Edit - The Panelview is offline because the machines control power is off Edited by TWControls

I just added a second Ethernet/IP driver and it found and recognized all the devices listed under my first driver without any problems. However all of the devices on the network are either CLXs or SLC5/05s, none of the Micros are connected. I am using Linx 2.42 build 18 running on WinXP.

sorry, but my gear is spread out between work and home right now ... it will be sometime tomorrow afternoon before I can do anything ... but here’s what I’ll have available then: I can set up an IBM ThinkPad running Windows 2000 Version 5.00.2195 ... RSLinx is Version 2.41.00 (Build 10) ... for Ethernet communications, I’ll have an ... SLC-5/05 ... 1756-ENET ... PLC-5/20E ... if you think that this will help, I’ll give it a shot ... good luck ...

I think this is a problem with RsLinx version 2.50.20 and some windows 2000 security update. I pulled out my ancient laptop that had RsLinx 2.43 and after a 30 minute boot up I was able to create the additional Ethernet driver just like the above screen capture and it did recognize the device. I have 2 Windows 2000 computers with RsLinx 2.50.20 that are doing this. I don't have a hard copy of RsLinx version 2.43 so went to download it off of AB and it says I will have to order a new master disk to install it. My support is up to date and can download 2.50.20. I guess during the conversion from RsLinx to RsLinx Classic they must have made a change in the activation. Must be like Girlfriend 1.0 being upgraded to Wife 2.0. Once you make the upgrade there is no going back I have a new laptop that has Windows XP on it. I guess I'm going to get all the software loaded on it this weekend and see if I can make it work. But I really hate to retire this laptop. All the time it took to get it setup just like I want it. It's kind of like a good pair of broken in boots. They may look awful but they are so comfortable. If course the CD-ROM is broke, the down key doesn't work, the wireless is out, and there is a big chunk of the plastic case busted out of one corner of it. I guess it has about seen its better days

Check out this screen capture 1. This is my original driver that works fine 2. This is the driver that I added today that is identical to the driver in 1 3. I was trying to come up with a temporary work around and did this. It is a Controllogix chassis with an EWEB module and an ENBT module from an existing old driver that still works. I go in on the EWEB, then the Backplane, then to the ENBT then back out on the same Ethernet. I can then configure the same driver that is in 1 and 2 and it works fine Either I'm going crazy or I swear I'm going to blame this one on Bill Gates Edited by TWControls

I am using RSlinx 2.50 on multiple PCs with Win2K and Win XP SP1 and SP2 - I don't see this problem. Did you try to delete harmony files? Usually this helps. PM me for details if you need help with Harmony. EDIT Delete these 2 files Edited by Contr_Conn

I did delete the harmony files and that is where it got interesting. Before I deleted the harmony files I could view old Ethernet Drivers but not new ones. And I am viewing real information, not previous browsing. I am able to go online with controllers that are connected to the old drivers When I deleted the two harmony files I could no longer view the old drivers. All of them had red X by them and said unrecognized device. I had to put the old harmony files back in before I could use the old Ethernet drivers again. It is like RsLinx is no longer writing to the harmony files. I have tried reinstalling RsLinx. Do you have the most current Microsoft Updates on your computer. I am having this problem with the 2 computers I have with RsLogix 2.50.20 and Windows 2000. On of them never has anything done to it except the Windows Security Updates. In fact it has not been touched in over a year besides that and at end of September when RsLinx 2.50.20 was installed on it. And I was able to add Ethernet Drivers to it later that day. It looks like my EWEB to ENBT bridge idea is going to work for the devices that I need to upgrade at the end of next week. That is why I was urgently trying to figure something out. I couldn't add any ethernet devices that didn't show up under the Ethernet/IP driver. Don't get me wrong it is still a big problem for me but my blood pressure is beginning to drop.

It's a Microsoft Update. Don't ask me which one. I removed everyone I could. I'll worry about Microsoft Security and abnormalies another day.

Is there a patch from AB for 2000 security updates like there was for XP service pack 2?

TWControls, I have also encountered that problem with Windows 2000 and RsLinx version 2.50.20. Another problem I have also found is RsLinx 2.50.20 is that it sometimes creates several instances of identical Ethernet Drivers, I have seen up to around ten of the same drivers under my workstation tree (Identical Names), and when this happens none of the drivers will work!! Either re-booting or deleting and re-adding the driver is the only way I have found to fix that problem -- Anyone ever seen this happen??

I haven't had the problems with RsLInx copying drivers but recently I had noticed if I was online with a machine and shut the machine down without going offline then turn the machine back on I could never get back online. Then when I went to RsLinx and do a RsWho the window would open up but clicking on any Ethernet driver would cause it to lock up. I would not be able to browse any of them. Closing RsLinx and reopening it would make RsLinx start working fine I know in the past I could be online with an Ethernet machine, shut it down, change some wires, turn it back on, and go right back online with it. I'm curious if I can resume online operations after a shutdown again without the Microsoft Updates I'm going to slowly add the updates back in over time and figure out which on is causing me the trouble. Total I removed 61 items (a few things other than updates) so it will be a while before I figure it out. Plus I have a few busy weeks ahead of me. But I'll will let you know when I pinpoint the update. Or may be Rockwell (I'm really hoping, I don't want to go through all of those updates) will post a Tech Note or something about it Is anyone else seeing any type of problem like this?

hakko808 - No patches from Rockwell that I can find for Windows 2000 Edited by TWControls

It will be no patch until problem duplicated I guess. Someone have identify what exact update causes the issue.

I will identify which one but it will take time as I have to do it in between projects. I was slow a few months ago and had time to do it. I don't have much time now that is why I just removed them for now but I will reinstall them and find which one it is. And I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted on this and personal messaged me.

Ok, I put all latest updates to Win2K/SP4 machine with 2.50 Linx. I don't see this problem with CLX and PLC5s. I don't have NET-ENI connected at this point, I may have it later today. I am thinking that this may be NET-ENI connection limit: Max it can handle: - 2 In - 2 Out - 2 In or Out So I guess this may be the answer. Edited by Contr_Conn

I saw this with the 1756-EWEB, 1756-ENBT, and Micrologix 1100 too

Just to update this thread, I found the problem quite some time ago but never posted. I began reinstalling the updates one at a time and checking RsLinx after each one. After a certain one, sorry don't remember which one, I had the same problem. In the end I updated the Ethernet driver to a newer version and everything worked fine with the windows updates So in the end it was one of those darn Windows problems and nothing was wrong with Rockwells RsLinx.