Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ben

NS-10 communication

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have NS designer ver. 6.03E installed on my laptop. I am trying to download new program to NS10. Additionally I have CX programmer 5.00 using CX-server version 2.2 on my laptop. Through "transfer data" screen I can connect to NS10, it shows connection complete, NS10 shows ready to upload/download. However trouble starts now. When I say download, it just freezes, after 2-3 min I get and error message "connection failed, check cable....." The same cable works fine with CPU all the time. When I power recycle the laptop and the NS10, some times the download works. Sometimes at 60-65% download, it looses connection. The same setup was working few days back without problem. I have no new software install/uninstall (except for iTues & QuickTime!!). What could be the reason? First thing comes to mind is to uninstall CX programmer and NS designer and reinstall it. But is there any other way, any software update can solve this? Thanks in advance.

Firstly, NS Designer is now up to version 6.2, CX-Programmer is up to version 6, CX Server 2.3 and PLC tool 3.0.0.1. That does not include any updates to CX-One as I have not installed them. CX-One 1.1 is now available and includes the CP1H PLC. Be carefull when you uninstall. Windows uninstall does not work properly with many Omron, and other, products. There are some uninstall tools in the Omron download section at this site. I would suggest you upgrade to CX-One but have no idea what is causing your problem. QuickTime is generally OK. What is iTues? If either of these programs address the serial port in your computer, you may have problems from that. Very common. Do you have a real serial port or a USB/RS232 converter? Many of these do not work properly either. Edited by BobB

Thanks BobB for the reply, I suppose CX-Server takes care of the communication (like RSLinx in Rockwell). What is CX-One for? I don't see it in AllPrograms > Omron at all. I'd search for the updates you mentioned though. I'd appreciate if you can put a link to the uninstall tools to be used for Omron! iTunes is the software for communication and data transfer with iPod. Now a days iTunes and Quicktime comes as a bundle as audio and video utilities from Apple. iTunes uses USB port whereas I'm using Com1 for my NS10 so ideally it should not interfere. I'm not using any USB/RS232 converter. Does anybody know the sequence of install to be followed? i.e first CX-programmer then NS designer or vice-versa? I've heard that sometimes a wronge sequence of install may screw up your common components like communication etc.

We also have this problem in setup CX-PROGRAMMER&NS-DESIGNER,when the cx-server vison of CX-PROGRAMMER is higher than the cx-server of NS-D,you should install ns-d first,then install cx-p.And you should install them completely. otherwise the software will not run well... finally,my suggestion is to setup the cx-one,almost all of the omron's software is in it.

CX-One is the whole suite of software, CX-Programmer, NS Designer, Device Net configurator, CX-Simulator, CX-Protocol etc etc. No order to bother about just stick the CD in the drive and away it goes. CX-One V1.1 is just coming out now and includes the new CP1H. Highly recommenede that you keep your software right up to date - no problems then.

i had the similar problem with NS10. two years ago i downloaded the application made in NS-Designer v5. that was thgough the fins gateway since cx-server didn't have the driver for NS in those days. few months before i made an update for that application in NS-Designer 6.0 which uses cx-server. the application was still in version 5. NS freezes after the connection is established. since that was on the site during the production i had to think fast so I uninstalled ns-designer 6.0 and installed v5 and successfully downloaded the program. don't know the reason. the same thing happend later too, with the same application. i've overcome the problem by using the CF card. using the utility came with NS-Designer (all versions, since v2 i think) i've downloaded application to CF card put it into NS10, put DIP Switch 6 to on and using menus downloaded the application from CF card to the NS. all went well. since then all our laptops have a CF card and PCMCIA adapter for CF card. hope this helps