Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
autocontrolit

1747-KE with SLC 5/04 C

9 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried this? I have an application where I need more serial connections than a SLC will offer, but at the same time a SLC 5/04 is what I have to use. AB says it is compatible w/ 5/01, 5/02 and 5/03 but does not mention 5/04 or 5/05. Thanks in advance guys

The KE is a DH485/Rs232 interface module. The 5/04 and 5/05 do not support DH-485; DH+ and Ethernet respectively. Look into the 1746-bas module for additional serial ports. Edited by jstolaruk

The 5/04 does support DH485, it actually supports DH+/DH485 passthrough channel 0 being the RS232(DF1)/DH485 port and channel 1 is the DH+ port. DH485 is nothing more than a protocol that runs over a serial port correct? My limited understanding of the 1747-KE (which I am still researching) is that it attaches to the DH485 port and gives you Serial RS232(DF1) connections to the PLC. With the 1746-BAS/1746-BAS-T modules do they not also require the 1746-PBASE software? Basic programming is simple I just don't want to over complicate a simple solution if I don't have to.

A little more information this is not a project for a company or for any profit. I am just playing with my mill/lathe in the garage. What I need is both RS232 and DH485 communications, I currently have this with my MicroLogix 1500 1764-LRP. Believe it or nto though I have out grown the Capabilities of the 1500 system (at least within my garage play money budget). I need RIO, more (and faster) High Speed Counters, and a more complex instruction set to work with. I already have a complete SLC 5/04, 1746-A10, 1746-P2, 3 1746-HSCE, 1746-SN all the RIO, and all of the 1746 based I/O I need to run a small factory. What I need is the additional Serial DF1 connection for my 1761-NET-ENI, that is all I need it for.

sounds like you could use all of the communication capabilities of the ControlLogix platform. Here is a link to the module that may help you decide if this is what you need: 1747-KE

If you have an open slot, perhaps on of these modules found here: http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/.../view/full/5629 might do what you need.

Yes ControLogix would be nice, but as I said it doesn't fit my budget for the garage when all I need is another serial port in my SLC rack. Does the 1746-BAS reuire the 1746-PBASE software to configure? I have already read the 1747-KE module manual and Idon't think I can use it.

No, it has a interactive editor like the old DOS Basic did. The processor is an 8052 and its BASIC has CALL commands that allow access to special routines for communicating on the backplane.

Hyperterminal will work just fine.