Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mulderm

Automatically starts RSLinx and Excel-file

8 posts in this topic

Hello, I use RSLinx V2.43 with RSLogix5 on a Windows98 pc. Also using DDE with the Microsoft Office 2000 package. Now I want when I starting the pc that automatically the RSLinx Server and an Excel-file starts. Because when I starting my Excel file there must be a link with RSLinx. How must I do this in my autoexec.bat? Greetings, mulderm

I would try placing shortcuts to the DDE topic and to the Excel file into the StartUp folder. Edited by Sergei Troizky

I doubt you can do this in your autoexec.bat file. You can use something like StartIt which is a free ware program that Wonderware used to include on their support disks. It will allow you to start RSLinx then start your excel file after a delay to allow RSLinx to get started. It is easy to use following the text file instructions and runs on Windows 98 and newer. I used it to do something like that with a different DDE driver a few years back and it worked fine. startit.zip Edited by JohnM

This is speaking from a VB program using DDE but I don't see why there would be a different. RsLinx is configure as a service by default so it start automaticly and it appears that it always starts before items in your start up. Then we have our VB program in our startup. It always starts up fine and the links work immediately. Is this what you want or are you having a problem getting you values in excel to start updating when excel starts up. If that is what you are having problems with then that has to do with your DDE link mode

The problem is when another person starts the pc and starting first the Excel-file with the DDE-connection in VBA, Excel give a fault message. So I want automatically starting the files, first RSLinx, then when RSLinx is fully active the Excel-file and then RSLogix5. Have download the file Start-it from JohnM en tried this, but Start-it don´t accepted *.XLS files. So I must make a batch-file. TWControls: How must I start RSLinx as a service on a Windows98 pc? There is no launch control panel. Do you have a VB-file? mulderm Edited by mulderm

This is speaking from Windows 2000 and RsLinx 2.50 but I know the same was true for 2.43 and I can find no notes that say you can't do it with Windows 98 Once you open it up the the "Always run as a service" should be checked. Is it possible the shortcut has been deleted? You might search for "RSLINXCP.EXE" It is usually located in "C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLINX\" Are you saying you do not have this option? One way to tell if RsLinx is running as a service or an application is the splash screen. If the splash screen pops open when RsLinx starts then it is running as an application. If there is no spash screen it is running as a service. Maybe someone here can tell us if there is a problem with doing this with Windows 98. If there is a problem we could probably do it with macro in Excel but running RsLinx as a service is much easier and much more reliable.

I don't believe that Services exist in Windows 98 so you must start RSLinx. When I used StartIt - I started Linx then delayed about 30 seconds for it to get fully functional before starting Excel. I put the file I wanted to open in the XLStart Directory for the appropriate user. You also need to set up Excel to automatically update links. I can't say exactly where this is done as it is version dependant but it is in the Edit Tab under Tools - Options for Excel 2003. That may work for you.

Thank you for the information guy´s. The best option is to make a batchfile! Services doesn´t excist in Windows 98. mulderm