Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest low on the pole

panelview plus panelbuilder32

12 posts in this topic

IS THERE A WAY TO EASILY CONVERT P/B32 INTO RSVIEW STUDIO FOR P/V PLUS. LOOKING AT HELP FILE IT DOESN'T MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT IMPORTING PANELBUILDER FILES, ONLY RSS FILES. THANX

Its been a while since i messed with RSView but I believe when you are creating a new file it gives you the option to import. Select you panelbuilder file then. It won't completely convert it but its a great start.

TW, I WENT TO IMPORT EXPORT EDITOR WIZZARD IN RS VIEW STUDIO AND THE ONLY OPTIONS ARE RSS. FILES. NO PVA FILES. OUR PLANT IS PHASING OUT PANELVIEWS WITH PANELVIEW PLUS, AND SO THAT MEANS WE HAVE TO HAVE SPARES AVAILABLE AND IT SOUNDS LIKE ALL THE PROGRAMS WILL HAVE TO BE REDONE IN RS STUDIO FORMAT. THATS A TON OF WORK.

When you first open Rsview click on the New tab and type in a Name for your project then click the import button. This will give you the option to import .pba files... Edited by TechJunki

TECH JUNKIE, THANX FOUND THAT, TRIED TO IMPORT P/V 550 GOT SOME KIND EN1 VALIDATION ERROR SOME SHORT CUT MISSING THAT IT NEEDS. BUT IT LOOKS LIKE IT WILL WORK. THE ERROR HAS BEEN THERE SINCE I INSTALLED SOFTWARE. THANX AGAIN.

I would suggest reinstalling RSView me/se on a seperate machine that does not have any rockwell software on it since it does not always play well with other products, escpecially RSView32. Also run the patches for XP sp2 if needed. When importing set the coms up first, and be prepared for some tweaking.

HAKKO, THAT'S AN UNDERSTATEMENT. I JUST IMPORTED A LARGE P/V 1000 PROGRAM WITH LOTS OF SCREENS, GOT AT LEAST 50 ERRRORS, THE FONT SIZE ON EVERY THING IN RS VIEW IS WAY TO LARGE. AND I THINK YOUR RIGHT ABOUT PUTTING RS VIEW ON STANDALONE LAPTOP BECAUSE AFTER CHANGING A FEW THINGS IT LOCKED UP AND HAD TO REBOOT. WHAT EXACTLY IS THE PATCH SP2? IS THAT ON MICROSOFT DOWNLOAD PAGE FOR XP? STARTING TO SEE WHY PROJECT GOT PASSED DOWN TO ME. IT'S GOING TO BE A ROYAL PAIN, WITH A LARGE LEARNING CURVE. THANX .

Maybe if you stopped SHOUTING you wouldn't get the bum deal

Maybe you should rethink the idea of getting rid of the Standard Panelview in favor of the Panelview Plus. We ended up scraping our Panelview Plus's and putting the Standards back on. It has many nice features but still lacks some of the features of the Panelview and has some reliablity problems. Sales are supposively 50/50 for the Standard Panelview to the Panelview Plus. So many are sticking with the Standard Panelview. Just something to think about.

Search the AB site for xp and service pack2. There is a batch file that will modify the security to allow RS software to work with SP2. The lockups are normal. I learned to save often, and reboot machine after doing a lot of changes. Tech support was so-so. It seems as if an issue cannot be consistently duplicated it does not exist. Used version 3.20.00 build 43 and received mixed recomendations about updating to version 4 since it supposedlly fixed some of the issues, but added a new batch. Would have also introduced an issue with firmware updates, all for a project that was essentially finished and working. Overall it is still beta software and hardware. It seems as if the PV plus was designed as a hybrid between the standard panelviews and RSView32, but ended up as a product that falls short of the RSView32 features, and caused standard panelview compatibility. For now update plans are on hold and we keep existing installed base up with standard panelviews fromt the surplus market until the bugs are worked out.

They'll never admit it, but RSView Studio (and RSLinx Enterprise) must be a huge embarrassment for Rockwell. Each new release is proclaimed to be a vast improvement over the previous one, but the grief continues. In my experience, version 1.5 was the least troublesome to work with. The PV+ displays leave the standard PV's for dead (bright, vivid, wide viewing angle). But the only one I've installed died 2 days after commissioning. I don't know if that's a common experience or not - I'm assuming the replacement has survived. I know of others that have been in service for 2-3 years. Reasons to stick with the standard PV: PanelBuilder32 is far less expensive PB32 doesn't commandeer your computer PB32 doesn't require you to re-install & upgrade all your other Rockwell software PB32 is mature and stable PB32 will let you save your application file anywhere you like PB32 can upload a working application from a PV and modify it One of the REALLY BIG reasons to avoid the PV+ is reportedly eliminated in version 4 of RSV Studio - the ability to work with applications from any of the 3.x versions without converting them.

AB has raised the price of the Standard Panelview till it is now more expensive than the Panelivew Plus. But the Standard Panelview is still well worth the additional money. If you have a small project you can toy with the Panelview Plus. But if you have a larger project that you need to start up smoothly stick with the Standard Panelview. Yes it doesn't have the bells and whistles but it's much mor reliable.