Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wrenchforhire

Set timer preset from touchscreen

13 posts in this topic

I'm working on my first major project in Logix 5000, and want to be able to change the preset for wdt from the touchscreen. The tag data base shows the timer.pre but won't let me write a tag to it. I have mulitple timers and would like to be able to set them all with just one input. Mitsu does this pretty easily, I hope that AB does too. thanks, Wrench

You can definately MOV a value to the timer.pre so I would think you could from a touch screen. If the touchscreen doesn't support write to timer.pre then write to a dint then MOV this to the timer.pre in the PLC code.

Snerkal is correct. Some touchscreens do not support writing to timer presets. for example uticor display: using remote i/o for comms you can write to timer presets, but if you use the DF1 driver it does not support this and you have to use internal registers. this is also true for inputs and outputs.

Compact Logix connected via ethernet to Panel view plus, so it is all tag based. It just won't let me write a tag to the timer.pre. I have a lot of wdts and hate to have to mov to every one individually. That was why I wanted to write the int to a tag and use the tag in each timer. W

Don't understand what you are trying to do, it sounds like you have one tag that you want to write to multiple timers so they all have the same preset ? Each timer has a unique tag, with appended things like pre tt I can't see how you could possibly do what you appear to want to do. If you have one adjustable value in multiple timers I believe the only way will be to have a MOV for each timer, each MOV moving the same tag value into each timers pre

If all of your timers are built into a consectutive array then create a structered text routine and write code for a for loop. it is quite easy to do and will work for this.

dleehanson is right... dooh If you don't have the structured text addin you can just do a loop in ladder that should work.

You said int...the timer.pre is a DINT isn't it? Could this be the problem? Be careful giving the HMI direct control of timer presets or accumulators. A negative number will cause a processor fault! That's why I qualify the entries in the PLC and MOVe them. A little more code but a little more security.

Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up using a bunch of MOV commands and put the value tag into the timer.pre. I know that this is an easy job in MELSEC and was hoping that the LOGIX would be the same. Since this is my first big project in LOGIX I am still dealing with the "learning curve"!! Wrench

for future reference. This took about 10 minutes to write, but it is a very clean and efficeint way to copy multiple values. structured_text.txt