Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldgearhead

Rockwell to Rockwell to Rockwell ?

6 posts in this topic

I just completed a 256 (direct) tag project, using RSView ME, RSLogix500, and Emulate500. Everything went very well, until I to put it on the 'real' hardware. After removing the OPC server, I discovered syntax errors in all of my tags {:cornt:[cornt]}. Should have been {::[cornt]}. I must have made an error setting up the OPC server. Does anyone know where I can find detailed step-by-step information on setting up the OPC server required for the RSView, RSLogix500, and Emulate500 trio. I don't want to make this mistake again, and I don't really know what I did wrong.... btw- The direct tag access using a PanelView Plus is very, very, fast.

They way I've always done it is to delete the OPC Topic and the OPC data server in RSView Studio first, then re-create an RSLinx Enterprise shortcut with exactly the same name as the ordinary OPC Topic. I've had customers tell me that they encountered problems in that transition, but it's always worked correctly for me. It's not such a big deal when you're using the RSLogix 5000 emulator, because you use the RSLinx Enterprise virtual backplane for that connection, so you're always using a native RSLinx Enterprise shortcut that just gets re-directed (or just changed in the Target schema). The normal syntax is ::[TopicName]DataAddress I always thought the area between the double-colon was a place to put the Area Name, like in RSView SE. I dunno what exactly RSView Studio substituted in there; I'll bet that your Topic Name was 'cornt' and your OPC Data Server name was also 'cornt'.... there shouldn't be anything wrong with that, but RSView might have misunderstood. By the way, I run Version 4.0 of RSView Studio for everything. New releases are sometimes rocky, but I prefer the stability of the new RSLinx Enterprise and FactoryTalk platform to all the earlier ones.

Also remember that you can use the Tag Substitution function to change all the tags in a display at once. Perform a Select All, then go to Edit -> Tag Substitution and substitute :cornt: with :: This will have to be performed once per display, but it's a lot better than going through every object. I don't know a way to edit all direct references in the whole project.

May be possible to export tag database then do the find and replace edits in excel

Thanks for your responses. Fixing the current application was easy using Edit/Select All, then Edit/Tag Substitution. However, what I would really like is a step-by-step guide to setting up RSViewME, so that, it will talk to RSLogix and RSEmulate, all on the same computer. I understand, sort of, what needs to be done, but I'm not very sure of the steps envolved. Here is what I think: 1) Set up something (?) in RSLinx (not Linx Lite or Linx Enterprise)?? 2) Set up an OPC server in RSView Application/'New Data Server. (this must be deleted beore you can take the application 'on line' to a real processor). 3) What's a Topic?? Thanks again..