Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bucks7756

SLC 5/04 communications

7 posts in this topic

I am trying to setup a data collection network. One of our lines has a SLC 5/04 connected to a panelview 1000 using DH+ (channel 1) and an ab ultra 3000i connected to channel 0. Channel 0 of the SLC 5/04 is configured in user mode with an ascii driver. The problem is that we need to poll information out of the SLC using a 1761-NET-ENI which will put the SLC onto our ethernet network. We have purchased a df1 port splitter from allen bradley but this does not appear to work because channel 0 is configured for ascii communication with the ultra drive. Does anyone know of a way to get around this or is there a way to split the DH+ port and then use a DH+ to ethernet adapter? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you add a 1784-kt__ card to one of your networked PCs, you could connect blue hose from it to the DH+ network. Then you could gather data and program the SLC or the PanelView from that computer. I have a single PC connected to 27 machines via 3 DH+ networks. It is also connected to the plant LAN. We install RSLinx Gateway on the other PCs that need direct comms to the procesors. Those maintenance computers connect to the processors by bridging from the plant ethernet LAN to the PC with the KT cards. I can go online with four different processors at the same time and even download to a panelview from my office! The other business computers that don't need program access to the processors can still get production data through a shared excel workbook that is always running on the primary maintenance PC. The excel sheet uses DDE links to the PLCs and saves itself to the plant server every 30 second, so anyone who can see the server in our plant can view very fresh data. It's not exactly real time data gathering, but it's close enough for most purposes and it's free once you get RSLinx and a 1784-kt card. (about $2k I think)

I googled "protocol converter DH+" and got these: gridenabled another protcol converter and another I would not mess with the serial connection to the ultra drive. You don't want comms delays to crop up there and interfere with machine operation.

I found a product made by Datalink called DL4500-EDH+ which converts DH+ to ethernet. Anyone see any problems going this route.

Prosoft makes an Ethernet module for the SLC. Know you can go online with the plc with it and do messaging. Dont know how much it cost

Well here's a thought.. maybe put a BASIC module in the rack and control the servo drive from one of the ports on that module? Yeah, it would be more programming.. might be quite a PITA to implement. But it is another option nonetheless, and would free up channel 0 on the SLC for the NET-ENI..