Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DGR

Analog Out 0-10VDC

10 posts in this topic

I will be using a 1762-0F4 to drive a 0-10VDC pneumatic proportional valve. I would like to know if I will have proper signal strength if I am, let's say, around 100ft from module to valve?

What type of proportional valve is it? Many are powered off of the 0-10volts. These are very sensitive. Others are powered off of a separate 24VDC. These are not nearly as sensitive to distance. 4-20ma are still the best type to use in my opinion

Use high quality instrumentation cable of at least 18 guage (such as Belden 8760), and your voltage losses won't be significant. Ground the shield at one end only, let the other end float.

Thanks Alaric. I'll look into that. I already have 8761(22 AWG). Can I get away with that? TWC, the valve is powered by the 0-10VDC. Edited by DGR

Then be sure to use Alaric's guildlines and you should be fine. These can be very sensitive to voltage fluctuations. In the future, think about using a valve that has a separate 24VDC to power it and just uses the 0-10 for a signal. We used to replace that type of valve on one of our machines every 3 months. Went to the separately powered valve and, knock on wood, we haven't replaced it in over 3 years

separate 24V power and 4-20mA for signal would be perfect. we use them all the time (Festo). 100ft is not much so you should be ok if you wire it correctly (watch for shielding).

Thanks for the replies guys. I've switched to a 4-20ma (no external 24VDC) to play it safe. Now I just have to wait on the Analog module. 20 day lead time! Give me a break.

20 days for AB plc card? that's strange... what is your location?

Northwest Indiana. I even checked on the AB website and a second local distributor.