Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Chris Bartels

US Robotics 56k Modem to a PV300 Micro

10 posts in this topic

I am trying to program an AB PV300 Micro Panel View using a US Robotics 56k Fax Modem. It is a simple serial connection such as that when connecting directly with the PLC through a fax modem. I made a cable, got the pinout correct, and I still cannot communicate. Comm setup is OK for communication. Has anyone attempted this and been successful? If so, would you please give me a hand?

I guess the deafening silence is an indication of how many people have tried what you're describing! I do have to admit, I myself can't picture a situation where I'd need to put phone lines between a panelview and the PLC. I suppose you could set up a modem data-transparently so that the panelview would think it is directly connected to the host processor.. I'm not sure exactly how you'd do it on the PLC end though. But now, your question is about PROGRAMMING the panelview over the modem, isn't it.. Hmm. There is absolutely no way for you to do a direct serial or PCMCIA card transfer to the PV? Tell us exactly how this control system is laid out and maybe someone can come up with some ideas for you.

Hi all, I work with Chris who started this topic. Our setup is in a control panel out in the field. The panel consists of a ML1500 and a PV 300. The customer wants some additional functionality added to the system. This is not a problem, it just requires one additional screen in the PV and some new logic thrown into the PLC. We have and external modem as stated above, with which we can dial into the modem, see the PLC in RSLinx, and download the new program, but we also need to do the same thing for the PV. That's where the problem comes in. We got the cable pinouts and rung out from the 8 pin mini down to the 25 pin on the modem. Everything rings out properly. We just can't seem to figure out if there is some parameter in the modem that has to be changed or what. It seems like the protocol should be the same for the PLC or the display. Any help would be much apprecitated!! It can be so frustrating it seems

Whats the catalog number of the PV300? It may be asking to much for that little guy.

Well, I know this doesn't answer your question but.. doesn't the PV300 have a PCMCIA port like the other standard panelviews do? If so, you could mail a PCMCIA Flash card to your customer with their new PV app on it. It is a pretty simple process to download from the card to the PV's memory, you could surely talk someone through it on the phone.

The PanelView 300 Micro is the only member of that family without a memory card slot, so that method's out. I would have thought that if the dialin works for a MicroLogix, that it will work for a PanelView as well. I use the same cable to download to both, with DF1 Full Duplex protocol. The PanelView *is* DF1 Full Duplex protocol, isn't it ? I think that's an -L18 part number. I could look it up in the morning. I'm thinking that maybe I am mis-remembering, and the same download cable won't work for both the MicroLogix 8-pin and the PanelView 8-pin connectors. Hmm.

You cannot use the same cable to communicate to a Micrologix and an Panelview. The pinouts are different. I can't remember for sure, but i think you have to swap pins 4 and 6 and it will communicate through the modem fine. Been a few years since i had to do this but i remember the headache your going through Panelview 1 24V 2 GND 3 RTS 4 CTS 5 DCD 6 RXD 7 TXD 8 GND Micrologix 1 24V 2 GND 3 RTS 4 RXD 5 DCD 6 CTS 7 TXD 8 GND Panelview to Micrologix 1-1 2-2 3-6 4-3 5-5 6-7 7-4 8-8

My experience is the same as Ken's; one cable, 1761-CBL-PM02 8 pin mini-din to DB9, to download to Panelview 300 and Micrologix. Its documented in AB's Knowledgebase. The same cable works between the UIC and a Micrologix if the Micrologix's ports are configured for DH-485. Edited by jstolaruk

Yes the 1761-CBL-PM02 can be used to connect directly to a Micrologix or Panelview Micro. But have you used it to connect through a modem. I think if the modem requires handshaking it won't work. But i could be wrong. Come to think of it, you may need to disable handshaking in the modem to talk to the Panelview. What is the configuration of the modem

Attached is the current modem setup and the RSLinx setup that we are using. These settings are what work to connect to the PLC. And yes, the DF1 cable is the same when downloading to the PLC or the PV. Sure do appreciate all of the responses!! Modem_Setup_Template.doc