Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikey431

testing techniuque or software

5 posts in this topic

Can anyone suggest me any software or technique that can be used so that I can " play" with PLC instructions ? I think I need some kind of software that can simulate the process. I wrote some rungs but I want to make sure it works right first. What I want to see is with providing input will this code give me approriate output without messing my devices.

Somethng like this..... http://thelearningpit.com/ Bob O.

If you are using RSLogix, there is the emulator add-on package that (I think) does this for you. I've always preferred to test my code on a real machine though, as it is always the physics of the machine that gets me in trouble, more so that just flaws in the logic!

Thanks for comments. I's love to test it on the machine but I just want to play with simple stuff first before messing with more complicated topics.Can you tell me more about the emulator since I use RSLogic500 software?

I was never intimidated by "playing" on a machine. Here's some suggestions so you don't turn thousands of dollars of equipment owned by others into rubble: 1) Force off all outputs, except the one(s) you are working with. 2) Pull fuses of individual outputs (solenoids, etc.) 3) Valve off air supply 4) Turn off hydraulic power unit 5) Pull 480VAC fuses on motors (or disconnect them) 6) Manually cycle the output(s) that your "playing" will be turning on (so you don't crash into something) Be sure to restore a "safer" logic program version BEFORE undoing the list above. Remember, eventually you will need to run everything that your program is controlling. Might as well do them one or two at a time until you feel comfortable.