Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
srdjan

Panel View 1000 (2711-T10C8)

9 posts in this topic

I have problem with Panel View 1000 (2711-T10C8) which work in tire curing area. There is a lot of different color vertical lines on the screen. It is very difficult to see normal screen and change some parameters. The problem starts after six months to one year with one or two lines and then more and more. It is not only one Panel View. What is possible reason for that? Temperature, vibrations or something else? Thanks. Srdjan

this apend in all you panels or only in one?

High sulphur content in the atmosphere of a tire plant leads to corrosion of anything that contains silver. Get ALL your circuit boards coated with a clear non conductive finish. We order our PanelMates that way and greatly reduce our failures. I was told once that it's just plain clear lacquer that is sprayed on the circuit boards to protect them. I don't know exactly what our suppliers use, but it works. The LCD screens would get vertical colored lines, and somethimes the processors would fault within a few months until we started requesting this. This was in the tire assembly area at our plant. The curing dept. is probably at least ten times worse.

There is not problem with Panel View in tire building area. I have problem only in curing area. All Panel View are with vertical lines. Thanks.

If OkiePC is correct, I think what he is refering to is "conformal coating". I did some contract work at Rockwell Automation. I wasn't part of this, but we had a department that did this to PLC modules and PanelViews for "unusual" tough environments. They basically disassembled the device, masked certain parts, then had the "problem" surfaces conformally coated. I know this was done to high QC standards. That department was a part of "Flex Factory". Not sure if it's still called that. Check www.ab.com for more info.

Is the enclosure sealed up properly? Seems to me that if the enclosure is built to the appropriate NEMA rating for the environment (Nema 4X, maybe?) and it is kept closed, you wouldn't have a problem with corrosive vapors attacking the PC board contacts. But then again, I have never worked in an area where this is a concern.. Maybe no matter what you do, it still gets in?

I e-mailed my old buddy, who's retired now, who explained this to me years ago, and here's what he had to say: by John LynchHope this helps further my explanation. Conformal coating is a good solution on a device by device basis. It tripled our HMI life. They now wear out the keyboards before the electronics fail. OkiePC

Wow, great story! For various reasons I don't know if this would be allowed or practical, but I would look at bringing in outside air to pressurize/cool the cabinets. Kind of like how residential condensing furnaces are these days. One pipe to bring the combustion air in, one to bring it back out.. He mentioned problems with keyboards.. as an aside, I've had good luck with Texas Industrial Products keyboards (www.ikey.com). They're costly, but fully sealed and ultra-rugged.

OK if we are going to talk about keyboards in the tire industry, I've used the following. Please note that some of the operators took this as a challenge. I went through about 4 of these before they proved their point. The cost is pretty reasonable though. Virtually Indestructible Keyboard As for panelviews, all ours have the conformal coating. I'm in the final area so there isn't as much tire gunk as curing, but we still get it.