Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paubea

i need help

5 posts in this topic

i am a BS ECE student (Electronics and Communications Engineering) student from Mapua Institute of Technology here in the Philippines,. i love PLC programming,. specially OMRON because as of the moment it is the only PLC i can work with^^, i would like to research about "automated high way toll gates",. has it been done? can a single plc handle a single toll establishment? can OMRON PLC be networked into a Server PC? i still dont have exact specs about OMRON PLCs all i have is ideas,. thank you^^,

I dont know if it has been done with PLC's, but I know it could be done. Here in Illinois the toll booths are automated. PLC's can talk to server PC's through many ways. I would recomend http://oeiweb.omron.com as a place to be able to download manuals for the omron PLC's and other systems. that would be a good reference. Also dont forget about the downloads section of MrPLC.

thanks^^, i was wondering if a id be able to understand the nature of a smart card,. can a plc be interfaced with a smart card? if its not possible,. can they both be interfaced with a common computer server? do you have any suggestions for a good topic to research? thanks^^,

I would imagine a single PLC could handle a single toll site. It would depend on how many functions you need for each booth. You could have one PLC per site with each booth running on a remote I/O module. Most OMRON PLC's can be networked into a single PC. You would use CX-Supervisor and an interface card at the PC. CX-Server sets up the network.

Hello, Smart cards communicate with TTL level (0-5 Volts) Asynchronus or synchronus serial communication. You can do a simple smart card reader interface circuit by using MAX 232 , some NAND & XOR logic gates an a crystal with 3.78 MHz. I have googled and find a sample in: http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpa...ir_smartcard_rw this circuit seems like one I have done for a homework 5 years ago. Altough this circuit is very cheap, you need to use ISO 7816 communication protocols, and you have to build one for your self. And it is not easy to handle with PLC. So, the best solution may be finding a traditional smart card reader & writer with dirvers and simplified read & write protocols. If you find smart card reader & writer which is RS232 compatible (better if you find RS485 compatible) so it would be easy to integrate with PLC or PC. Best Regards