Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
altonfoley

This HAS to be easier than I am making it...

10 posts in this topic

I need to convert a pulsing (off,off,off,on,off,off,off,...etc.) signal to a steady on or off input to an allen bradley PLC/5. if the pulse stops,(either on or off) I need to reverse the state of that imput. (If any of you are in the mining industry, think about a slip/sequence switch, without the BWI Eagle.) I can do this, BUT, when I look at the resulting ladder, and consider that a first year maintenance guy will have to troubleshoot it, I do not want to get called at three in the morning to explain ladder logic. Whoever shows me the simplest way to program this, I will name my next son after them. PS: I am 50 years old and recently divorced from the third wife so, in all likelihood, you will be doing this exersize for the pure enjoyment of it, not any resulant legacy.

If the pulse is of a steady time frame do the following. Fire an on delay timer with 2 parallel contacts of the pulse (NC and NO), setting the timer's set value long enough so it doesn't turn on when the pulse is ... ehm pulsing When the pulse stops and the contact is either on or off, your timer will run to zero and turn on. Use the timer as the executing condition for what you want to do. Dunno about your maintenance guys but shis should give you an extra hour sleep at least p.s. I'll be expecting a birth announcment card Edited by PdL

Don't think that will work, the input will be in one or the other states every scan, so the timer will time out like it was an unconditional rung. I think you will need to use two timers, one for OFF, and one for ON, THEN parallel the done bits to activate a bit. See Below:

Ehmm right you got a point, you mean the timer will run to zero any time because one of the contacts is always true. Well... Ken Jr. sounds good eh!

Ken, That was the direction I was originally going. Gerry, at plcs.net came up with a really elegant solution, though. Thanks guys. Edited by altonfoley

PULSE ----||-----------+------(OUTPUT)                  | OUTPUT    TIMER  | ----||----|\|----+  PULSE ---|/|------------------[TIMER] Just so we can all learn. Very inventive!

The timer in Gerry's solution must be a TOF. TON will not work. It actually looks like this. Input B3/0 T4:0 -+--] [------[ONS]--+----------------------------(TOF)-- | | | Input B3/1 | +--]/[------[ONS]--+ T4:0/DN Output ----] [-------------------------------------------( )---] Edited by altonfoley

Wild, That looks good... But I still like Gerry's better. I would post a screenshot of it, but I haven't been successful.