Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
308guru

Ethernet communications howto

9 posts in this topic

I've got an FX1N that I would like to connect to over a network to monitor some data from my pc across the plant. I've never put a PLC on a network and I'm looking for some help. Questions are: -What additional hardware would I need? -Is there any code I have to add to the program? -Can I just got online with the PLC through GX-DEV FX or is there some other interface software? Thanks for any help you've got to offer.

Hello. You can monitor FX1N using programming Port or expansion board (FX1N-232BD). Yoy can monitor FX1N using GX Developer FX. When you monitor data with GX Dev. you don't need special program code for this.

Yes, I understand that. What I want to do is network the 5 plc's that I have in the plant so I can collect data from them when I'm at my desk. I need them on a real network to do so, not just monitor. I was wondering if I could monitor and program them over the network then. Anybody else?

I have used an ethernet serial server -> 232-BD board on the FX. Connect your LAN to the server, configure the server's IP (or DHCP) and access your FX on the network via a virtual serial port and you can use GX Developer (GX Developer will only support serial for FX, hence the virtual com port mapped to an IP address). I have also used a DDE driver (MelDDE?) and received data directly to an Excel spreadsheet from the FX. This is usually better for production type data, you can see only what you need and manipulate it any way you need, graphs, etc. 232-BD = $50, serial server = $150 (approx.) so you'll have at least $ per node. One source for server: http://www.bb-elec.com/ Edited by mjrx

Mitsubishi does offer an Ethernet module for the FX1S, FX1N, FX2N, and FX2NC. It's the FX2NC-ENET-ADP, and to use it with an FX1N you will also need an FX1N-CNV-BD. You will need to add a bit of code to the PLC to set the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway, but it's minimal. As for the connection to the PC, none of the current Mitsu software supports speaking to an FX over Ethernet directly. Mitsubishi is using Tactical Software's Serial-IP as a gateway. Basically it allows you to define a COM port (say COM8) and tell it what IP address to speak to for that port. It works fine. So you can install Serial-IP on your PC, and then use GX-Developer or MX-Component or MX-OPC Server over that COM port to talk to the PLCs.

I have 8 Mitsubishi FX32-MR PLCs that I would like to connect with a PC running Wonderware. Can someone lead me in the necessary direction? Is it the same as with the FX1s in the previous messages? Is that what an RS232 Ethernet server is for? Edited by Celtfan

Hi, I have used the Moxa DE-311 before (http://www.moxa.com). These units are very good and robust. I have installed many of these in plants like Ford and Nissan. On the moxa device you setup the ip, gateway, mask. This can be either static or dynamic (DHCP). Then, on your PC (SCADA server), you map the units to COM ports (COM1-COM255). This is done using the supplied software. The only real thing you have to bother about is the fact that not all windows apps allow you to see more than x ports. Example: GX Developer allow only 10 setial ports. The connection to the PLC is really easy. You create a cable and plug it into the programming port of the PLC. So, you dont need additional PLC hardware. The Moxa unit can be set to use the RS232/RS485/RS422 interfaces. All on one unit! Hope this helps. Edited by waynes

Waynes, Thanks for the input. I will check them out. It certainly seems like a straight forward approach.

Hi, Moxa DE-311 is good, easy and its cost is lower. I ever use it in my project with FX series PLC. I can control and monitor all PLCs over network. I have used OPC ActiveX control in my VB IDE to connect to OPC Server connecting to PLCs over network. I use KEPServerEx OPC Server for FX series PLC and use COPC32 ActiveX control to communicate to OPC Server.