Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mulderm

Problems with RSLinx and 1770-KF2

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I have installed on a Windows NT V4.0 pc system RSLinx profession V2.42. Now I connected a 1770-kf2 communication module on the com 1 port (serial) to communicate on a DH+ network with an Allen Bradley PLC5/25 processor. When I choose ´Automatic Configure´ in the configuration of RSLinx I get the message "Check your cable". I can not connected to the network. The cable and module are correct because when I connected it to my notebook with Windows 98 installed on it, there is no problem. Who can help me? There is also Novell installed on the PC. mulderm

Just a suggestion, are you sure the serial port on the NT system is in fact configured for port 1? Try a few other ports on the RSLinx configuration screen.

Yes, Daniel it works. On my notebook with Windows 98 it works perfect. Settings: Com 1, 9600 Baud, Device = 1770-kf2, parity=none, stopbits=1, BCC, Full Duplex Why not on Windows NT 4.0? mulderm

It is possible your com port on the NT computer is not configured for com 1... I would check that first...

I am hopeless. I have check the com 1 port: using hyperterminal and the Basic-module 1771-db/b; the com 1 port work correct. Deinstall RSLinx prof and install RSLinx Lite: same problem Why not communicate on Windows NT 4.0 and on Windows 98 works fine? Please help me. mulderm

Auto Configuration Failed! The device at the configured station number is NOT a 1770-KF2 device! Possible solution The device RSLinx found at the specified station is not a 1770-KF2 device. Check the station number and/or device type in the driver configuration dialog box. Auto Configuration Failed! The KF2 device at the configured station number is NOT set to DH+ mode! Possible solution The device RSLinx found at the specified station is a KF2, but it is not operating in DH mode. Reset the KF2 to operate in DH mode. From Allen-Bradley! Also try this RSLinx Forum

Well, this isn't really a "solution", more like an observation! I have tried various communication schemes using NT 4.0 and 98 on several different computers. Now, I'm no NT guru. Far from it. If I were real well versed in Nt, I probably wouldn't have any issues. But in general, getting an NT box to communicate using RSLinx has always been an uphill battle for me. I've got one notebook that works real well with NT, but for the most part that is the exception. I have had a MUCH easier time getting things to work in 98. Easier configuration, easier to change comm. protocols on the fly (like changing a PCMK from DH+ to DH485), etc. So what I'm getting at with this is, is it possible for you to just "give up" and use 98 on the computer the KF2 is hooked up to? Maybe have an NT/98 dual boot if there are NT apps you need? I know this doesn't really solve the problem as you stated it, but its a possible workaround!

I agree NT 4.0 is pretty old and I had trouble in the past as well. I would recommend you move forward and use 2K or XP. The install whould be straight forward with the support of plug and play. You didn't state what version RSLinx Lite you are using but with 2.42, I would check the following as stated in the release note. >>Microsoft Windows NT Version 4.0 (Service Pack 6 or later recommended). Because RSLinx takes advantage of features not available in Windows NT prior to Version 4.0, RSLinx is only supported on Windows NT Version 4.0 or later. >>Internet Explorer Version 6.0 is required for this version of RSLinx. >>When using auto configuration on a 1770-KF2/KF3 device, you must set the Station Number to that of the KF2/KF3 before clicking Auto-Configure. Otherwise, Auto-Configure tries to detect the device at the currently selected station, and if the device is a PLC, Auto-Configure configures to the PLC rather than the KF2/KF3. >>You must have Windows NT Administrative privileges to install RSLinx and/or configure RSLinx drivers. Lots of other info from the release note...

Thank you for all the information quys. I think that I install Windows 98 or XP. Windows NT 4.0 is to old for this. Greetings, mulderm