Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BITS N BYTES

CJ1M-CPU21 Quick Response Inputs

9 posts in this topic

Using BOTH HSC0 and HSC1 configured for Circular mode operation with Software Reset. I really need to configure Inputs 2 and 3 for Quick Response and hope someone could help me out. The CJ1M operation manual M27W395-E1-03 states [section 6-1-5]:- • Quick-response input 3 cannot be used when high-speed counter input 0 is being used. Quick-response input 2 cannot be used when high-speed counter input 1 is being used. Is this ABSOLUTELY true OR can catch inputs 2 and 3 be used IF HSC0 and HSC1 are configured as ring counters with software reset. I hate to doubt the manual but sometimes things get lost in the Japanese to English translation: In the configuration settings for Interrupt Inputs [Direct Mode] the manual [section 6-1-3] states:- • Interrupt input 3 cannot be used when high-speed counter input 0 is being used and the high-speed counter 0 reset method is set to Phase-Z signal + Software reset. Interrupt input 2 cannot be used when high-speed counter input 1 is being used and the high-speed counter 1 reset method is set to Phase-Z signal + Software reset. I interpret this to mean that IF HSC0 and HSC1 are configured for Ring Counting with Software Reset THEN Inputs 2 and 3 CAN be used for Interrupt tasks 142 and 143. I am hoping that these restriction might apply to the Quick Response input settings for IN2 and IN3. PLEASE CONFIRM ONE WAY OR ANOTHER! Thanks

How fast do you need the input to respond? You can change the response time on the general inputs. The default is 8ms, but you can lower it to increase input response. Just make sure you don't have any chatter on the input point. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot Darin, my fastest input speed is 6.2mSec. Guess I'll try the 4mSec setting on the Input filters.

Changing the Input filter settings helped somewhat, but as I suspected I am still missing the input when PLC Cycle time exceeds the Input signal time. Mean cycle time is about 5.8mSec, Max is 10.1mSec and Min is 4.9mSec. So I think this explains why my 6.2mSec input pulse can still being missed? Would still prefer the Quick Response setup as this is Asynchronous with the PLC Cycle time. ANy answers to my first post?

I'm going to forward this to the resident expert on CJ1M interrupts. We'll see what he has to say about it. In the mean time, have a look at his lecture on CJ1M Motion and Interrupts. CJ1M Motion and Interrupts Quickstart @ MrPLC.com

Thanks Jay, I already downloaded and studied the document you mention. Very useful and a lot more practical than wading through the Omron docs. Look forward to a response on this issue. HOPEFULLY in my favour. If not then I have to consider an external pulse stretching circuit or modify the mechanical design to lengthen the target size of the sensor input!

Good News! Your interpretation of the manual is correct. You can use inputs 2 and 3 in Quick Response or Interrupt mode as long as Software Reset is being used for HSC0 and HSC1. If Z-Phase + Software Reset method is used, then inputs 2 and 3 cannot be used.

Thanks Jay, That's GREAT news. I had a hunch that this would be the case. SOME COMMENTS FOR FUTURE HARDWARE UPGRADES. It would be a REALLY nice feature on OMRON PLC's with I/O on the base processor that ANY I/O not configured for or used by high order functions [interrupt, HSC, Origin Search] could be configured as Quick Response inputs!!! Furthermore, the ability to change the Input Time filter settings individually vs. globally would be of benefit. QUESTION? In CX programmer the following statment is made:- General Input Operation This setting is common to all Built-in Input ports which are set as general input and determines the Constant Input of filter. Choose one from No filter, 0.5ms, 1ms, 2ms, 4ms, 8ms, 16ms and 32ms. The default setting is 8ms. This takes effect when power is next turned on. Are the Input time Filter settings still applicable if the input is configured for Quick Response?

No.