Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mulderm

RSLinx prof with A.I. series PLC-5 V8.05 for DDE

16 posts in this topic

Hello, I have already installed on a laptop the PLC-5 A.I. series software V8.05 with the communication module 1784-KF2/B on a Windows98 system. I use this for programming the PLC5/25 processor. Now I want working with DDE because I want to get some words of the PLC5/25 bringing to Excel. So I installed RSLinx Professional V 2.42. When I changed in the A.I. series the communication hardware to "RSLinx Driver under Win95" I get an Error: "PCL-Link-Error returned an error code of -102". This means that I can not communicate to the PLC5/25. Why can I not make this communication? Other option in the communication hardware is: WinLinx Driver, but this is also not working. I know that I can use RSLogix5 but this is to expensive to buy it for our company and other people can only work with A.I. series. Who can help me? Greetings, mulderm

It could be that you need an older RSLinx. I've run the AI successfully with RSLinx 2.XX in Windows NT, 2K, and XP so give those OS a try.

Do you mean that you use RSLinx prof with AI series on XP? What for option did you have for the communication hardware in AI series? What for version do you have of AI series. Please let me know. mulderm

Mulderm, it's AI-5 8.07 with RSLinx 4.2. Haven't used it in a while but just tested it and it works fine with XP Pro SP2. The default driver selection is "RSLinx Driver under Win95/98." You have to run the Markexe.exe NT in the AI-5 folder to get the "RSLinx Driver" for NT/2K/XP. The other driver available is "Softlogix 5 RCP Driver" which I have never use. Once you have a driver configured in RSLinx, use the same driver name (AB_ETH-1, etc.) in the AI-5 RSLinx Driver Default Server Name. I think you need to run Windows 95 with your version. version 8.07 allows Windows 98. Look for and run the Markexe.exe file and see if you can run it under NT/2K/XP.

Firetubes, Thank you for the information. I will try it next week on my work. Still let you know. Greetings, mulderm

Firetubs, Today I have updated the AI series software to Version 8.07 on my Win98 notebook. Then I have selected the RSLinx driver under win95/98 and give the Server name "AB_DF1-1" the same as I have configured the device name in RSLinx Professional V2.42. Then I have run the Markexe NT. But I have still get the Error message: "PCL-Link-Error returned an error code of -102" Description: Who-NT- Unable to load virtual device driver What did I wrong? Please help me! mulderm

If you want to run it under Win98, you shouldn't have run markexe NT. You can undo this by running markexe 95 or reinstalling AI5 and your driver listing should show "RSLinx Driver under Win95/98."

Firetubs, Still not working. I use RSLinx Professional V2.42 and win98. I am hopeless, why isn´t working? Do you have any suggestion´s? mulderm

Muldum, I would recommend using Win2K or XP with your current AI and RSLinx version. Otherwise, use an older RSLinx with Win98. Also, have you check out this knowdegebase?

Firetubes, I have uninstall RSLinx prof V2.42 and install RSLinx Lite V1.70.62 and now it´s working!!!! with the windows 98 system. But why is RSLinx Prof V2.42 not working with AI series V8.07? Are the RSLinx version different about drivers? I want to use this prof version because using DDE. I have not tried with XP, still let you know. Greetings, mulderm

The new RSLinx most likely doesn't support AI with Win95/98 any longer. I thought that if you have a license, the RSLinx Lite becomes Pro, basically the license switch on the DDE features. I don't remember that far back to version 1.70.62. Maybe you can try 2.0, 2.1, etc.

Thank you Firetubs for your help, I appreciate. mulderm

Firetubes, I have installed AI Version 8.07 on a windows XP. But when I will opened the screen is to small and will disappear. How can I this fully opened (maybe starting under dos?). How did you do? Greetings, mulderm

With Dos apps, you can press Alt-Enter to change from full screen to windowed mode and vice versa. Once loaded in windowed mode, you can also click on the top left corner next to the AB5.exe menu, select properties, and then change to a larger font and window size. As for the disappearing, try running the app in compatibitly with one of the older OS. Right click on the AB5.exe file, properties, compatibility. Notice there's other tabs for adjusting how your application will work and run.

Firetubes, Still not get a good working of the ab5.exe file. Have doing some adjust but no effect. Is your ab5 file good working with Windows XP? What are your settings? mulderm Edited by mulderm

That the Window dissappears is probably because the application encounters some kind of problem at startup. Maybe the problem is trivial and you just have to take note of eventual error messages when it shuts down. To be able to see any "left over" error messsages, start a command prompt (do not start ab5.exe directly from windows), and then start ab5.exe from there. The window with the command prompt will remain open when ab5.exe shuts down so that you can take note of the error messages.