Shomation

Powerflex 40 Firmware update

3 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I want to upgrade the firmware of Powerflex 40 from 5.001 to 6.002 

can anyone tell me how can I do that?

Go to Rockwell's Product Compatibility and Download Center (PCDC) website here:

https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/MultiProductSelector.aspx?crumb=111

Type "ControlFlash Plus" in the search box and chose the latest revision, and it will populate in the right-side box. Click on the down arrow below the "Download" box. This will prompt you to log in or create a user account. Anyone can create a user account and download ControlFlash and firmware. Once you're logged in, click the down button again, select the software, download and install it.

Once installed, open ControlFlash Plus, scan the network with the hardware you want to flash, select the hardware and firmware revision you to flash to, and follow the prompts.

IMPORTANT! Do not remove power, network connection, or otherwise interfere with the flash process once it's begun. Interrupting a firmware flash will irreversibly damage your hardware.

To add to ElectronGuru's warning, I've seen a firmware update fail on a PF7xx once that bricked the drive. Thankfully, we had a spare on hand. Doubly thankfully, the one doing the flashing was an AB engineer so they ate the cost of the replacement. I've generally seen FW updates on PLCs and modules go pretty smoothly, but I would be cautious about flashing a drive. Could be that I'm biased because I've only been involved with a very small number of them and one of them failed but if I didn't really need the updated FW in that drive, I'd probably leave it alone.