Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Artz

Multiple Alternative IPs possible?

2 posts in this topic

Hi, not a pro on win10 settings and networks

This is my configuration:

b8AH5fn.png

I use alternative configuration IP whenever I disconnect my Ethernet cable from the router that gives me Internet and plug another Ethernet to communicate with a PLC. Until here, everything is fine, however I need to connect to a second PLC which has an IP on a different subnet (88.x.x.x) so I have to modify this Alternative IP (192.168.250.10) everytime I switch between PLCs.

One solution would be to set my first PLC IP to 88.x.x.x and be on the same subnet, yes, that's possible. But I would like to know if there's a way to add a second alternative IP via cmd or registry edit or with any kind of modification to avoid going to this config dialog everytime. I guess the first solution is the most direct an easy one. But I would like to know if it's possible through Win10.

Thanks in advance.

If I recall correctly, Windows won't let you mix DHCP and static IPs on the same interface at the same time.  Your middle screenshot of the advanced options would be where you supply multiple static IPs, but that is disabled because you have DHCP turned on.

I get around this problem by running Windows in a VM on top of Linux, with a Linux software bridge on the real ethernet adapter.  I can then make multiple virtual ethernet interfaces in Windows, all pointing at the same physical interface on the Linux side, but with completely separate configurations.  Then I can enable and disable those adapters inside the VM as needed (or even run multiple simultaneously).