Olly_J

Keyence IV3 with Mitsubishi iQ-R over Ethernet/IP

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi, has anyone tried to get a Mitsubishi iQ-R to communicate with the Keyence IV3 series cameras over Ethernet/IP? 

There are videos about how to use the IV3 with Allen-Bradley (Rockwell) PLCs but Rockwell's implementation of EIP is completely different from Mitsubishi's implementation.

I am using an existing system with the RJ71EIP91, I have the IV3 EDS file added to the Ethernet/IP Configuration Toll for RJ71EIP91 software, I know I need to add the IV3, set the IP address and connection number. But how do I access the data, and send the trigger for the IV3?

The instruction videos for Allen-Bradley uses the I/O tree to create tags and pre-made AOI's to create the logic to do all of the communication work in the PLC code, which is a process that I am familiar with. However, none of that is relevant to the Mitsubishi PLCs. 

I figure I have to use somethning like Uxx\Gxxxxxxx in my logic to access the data for the IV3 from the RJ71EIP91 module but not sure how to get that to and from the actual IV3.

Does anyone have any ideas?

(sorry my initial post was blank, accidentally prematurely posted).

Edited by Olly_J
Initial post was accidental

23 hours ago, Olly_J said:

Hi, has anyone tried to get a Mitsubishi iQ-R to communicate with the Keyence IV3 series cameras over Ethernet/IP? 

I have not but I will offer some advice since the forum participation has been quite low lately. I have implemented the IV3 via Omron and Keyence PLCs. I don't have the files with me this weekend. I'll look these up next when I'm at my work PC.

There are videos about how to use the IV3 with Allen-Bradley (Rockwell) PLCs but Rockwell's implementation of EIP is completely different from Mitsubishi's implementation.

EtherNet/IP is a standard that is the same for all manufacturers. Break it down to its simplest form and the examples can help you.

The instruction videos for Allen-Bradley uses the I/O tree to create tags and pre-made AOI's to create the logic to do all of the communication work in the PLC code, which is a process that I am familiar with. However, none of that is relevant to the Mitsubishi PLCs.

The AOI is synonymous to a Function Block. You do not need this to make the cyclic connection. It will map the Input and Output Bytes to data types that are easy to understand and use. A lot of manufacturers will provide these for Rockwell PLCs since they are the leader in the market. It helps them sell more products.

I am using an existing system with the RJ71EIP91, I have the IV3 EDS file added to the Ethernet/IP Configuration Toll for RJ71EIP91 software, I know I need to add the IV3, set the IP address and connection number. But how do I access the data, and send the trigger for the IV3?

I'm sorry I haven't used Mitsubishi software for EIP connections and I haven't used the PLC programming software in a long time. You should be able to find the settings that match the examples they have for KV and Rockwell PLCs. Somewhere in the configuration it may refer to Tag Sets. The Tag Sets may contain an address that you provide. The addresses you use will be the Input and Output data that you access. Referencing the Field Network manual, it will be similar to the KV settings section, step 4. The commenting in the KV series is somewhat automatic for obvious reasons. 

The most important thing about getting any EIP device connected, is getting the Input and Output data sizes correct for the specified Assembly Instance. Referencing the screenshot below, if your Input is D100 then your input data will be D100 through D196. They maybe start at D200 for Output (D200 through D205). 

IV3_EIP.png.cb622248dbd801bb14773ddccc92

1 person likes this

Thanks IO_Rack I appreciate your response. What I was getting at with the comparison to Allen-Bradley is that in Allen-Bradley PLCs you would install the EDS file or AOP and then add the IV3 camera to the I/O tree and voila! you have tags to read and write to as long as you put in the correct IP address and everything is connected, whereas in the Mitsubishi PLC as far as I can see so far:

You have to first use the Ethernet/IP Configuration Tool for RJ71EIP91 software (which is separate from GX Works2/3) to install the EDS and create or modify the configuration, including the input and output sizes). For reading/writing the configuration you have to connect to the EIP module (Not the PLC) and read/write the configuration. This should get the EIP module communicating with the IV3 if set up correctly but not the EIP module with the PLC. 

You have to write logic for the PLC to read and write the data to the EIP module buffer memory... It seems you have to use the addresses starting at Un\G65536 offset by the addresses already used by existing devices for inputs and the same thing starting at Un\G196608 for the outputs. Then you have to look at the IV3 I/O registers and figure out which bits/registers will contain the values that you want. And for me, this means creating a big Excel spreadsheet to figure it all out and hope I haven't miscalculated and misaligned anything. Troubleshoot will not be fun.

So the examples for Allen-Bradley PLCs are not really very helpful. Keyence PLCs are more similar to Mitsubishi PLCs but not the same. I haven't got to test my program out yet as I am still waiting for others to mount and wire the cameras but I am hopeful it works.

Of course it is entirely possible there is a better way to do this, but that is my plan so far.

1 person likes this