tlock0331

ControlLogix vs CompactLogix MSG

8 posts in this topic

I have a 3rd party device that to make work with Rockwell, its software creates an L5K file, and then i import it. It does use MSG instuctions. the issue is i want to use this on an L310/320, but the messages wont connect, but when i import the same exact L5K into an L71, they all work. I havent looked at any settings beyond in the intial 3 tabs on each and am not seeing anything jumping out at me. 

I guess my real question now is, are there some actual differences between the message instructions on a controllogic vs compactlogic? they are both running V32. so i am trying to set them up as close to 1 for 1 as i can. Just hoping somebody might have a "go look here" idea, because i really am confused on this.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, the route path would be different.  The L7x and older ControlLogix processors have no built-in ethernet, so the route path always has to go through a network module in the chassis.

2 people like this

Pturmel,

Thank you for the response, i would have through that once a plc is selected, any issue in the messaging would be resolved at the firmware version since one is external vs onboard. That does make sense, so i am wondering if something in the 3rd party config would need to change.

I have 2 identical programs, one with an L71, the other with an L320. I import the new ethernet coupler for both PLC's, and both processes look and act the same. The message instructions are set up once i import the rungs and i go to the communication tab and point to the add-on module attached to the rockwell ethernet port. both processes are the same. 

the error code i get is 16#001, extended 16#058c_0127, connection failure

Are you aware of any "if you are using an L7/8 plc use this, if L3x use this setting instead" kind of thing? I know i could start playing with the configuration, but I am not very well versed in the message instruction to that level, and with so many options, that seems like a needle in a haystack approach. 

It very well may be in the config, so i may have to open up their AOI's and see what that looks like.

Any thoughts would be great, none the less, thanks for the reply

So, i tried moving where the MSG was starting from, and just put it to the plc itself, message instruction was happy with that, and now some of the messages are working, some are not, the error i get now is 

16#0008, unsupported service request

16#0005, class or instance not supported,

so i guess thats a start 🤣

When going from the 1756-L71 your message to the 5069-L320ER will have to go onto the backplane and then onto the ethernet card and then out the front port, if the ethernet card is in the tree you would select that then add a , 2, "IP address of L320" and maybe ,0.

To go from the L320, I am assuming that it is a 5069-L320 you first need to know if the ethernet ports have been set up for dual addresses or a single address, as this will affect the port addressing. If set for dual addressing then the front port is I think port 3 and the back port is I think port 4, I have not found how it is set up for having the same IP address for both ports, but I seem to remember that it is port 2.

If you want to exchange data between the 2 PLC's you can use Produced/Consumed tags/UDT's.

To do that you will need the other PLC in the tree of each PLC, and the tags must be exactly the same in each processor, it would then be a case of moving the data into the UDT at the originating PLC and then using that data in the receiving PLC.

Alan_505, 

Thank for the reply, but i am not going plc to plc, i am testing both an L71 and an L320 to a 3rd party ethernet coupler. al the messaging works from the L71 to the non-rockwell coupler, but wouldnt from the L320, i changed the comms link on the L320 and now some of the messages work as stated in my 3rd post. also resulted in new failure messages, which is a good sign, now i need to understand more from the config side of the MSG instruction. I did say what the two new ones are in that post as well.  

if future people read this, here is a recap:

A 3rd party ethernet coupler and their software creates an L5K file, from there, import the ethernet module, import the routines, then the AOI's. This creates a lot of MSG instructions, it was developed for L7/8 plc's and works flawlessly on that platform, but that platform is 5-10 times the money verses a L306 type.

I started adjusting where the MSG was pointing to and change the instance number. each MSG instruction required some adjusting, but i got each of them working. Some required pointing to the the plc, some to the ethernet adapter i am using for the connection, and adjusting the instance. I also learned that some needed the "Connect" & "Cashe Connections" and not "Large Connections" selected. so it was kind of a mix and match. 

It was quite a process, but, i am extremely pleased with the outcome, and i wanted to thank PTurmel for reminding me that each has a different ethernet type connection, onboard vs external.

Correcting this opens the door to a lot more potential clients because the price point is a lot better for those that require a rockwell plc, verses different platforms. 

Thanks again!

1 person likes this