Adalbert

NJ - GRT1 SmartSlice EtherCAT config

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

About SmartSlice:

Smart Analog I/O performs data pre-processing to help you reduce PLC programming. Scaling and alarms, and even totalising or rate-of-change calculations are handled inside the unit.

How to get to this honey in case of GRT1-ECT bus coupler and NJ101 EtherCAT communication?

What means “Configuration Tool” in W18E-EN-02 “GRT1-series EtherCAT Communication Unit Operation Manual”?

Yes, thank you for your time and another, already 11001111011 st piece of advice. I appreciate your effort in teaching us binary counting for so long.

I would rather get advice from someone with experience configuring EtherCAT modules.

Omron does not appear to provide any SmartSlice module configuration tool for the EtherCAT GRT1-ECT. Yes, there are such Cx-ConfiguratorFDT (DeviceNet Configurator for GRT1-DRT) but there is no possibility to read ESI file for GRT1-ECT. What I mean is the ability to set not obvious SDO settings such as scaling, moving average or even choose of thermocouple input type J (0.0 to 400.0°C) in GRT1-TS2T – not offered by DIPswitch settings and PDO in Sysmac Studio.

Has anyone set similar parameters?

Maybe using software tools of other brands?

Is the only and correct method to mess around in the SD area using a function block like EC_CoESDOWrite?

1 hour ago, Adalbert said:

I would rather get advice from someone with experience configuring EtherCAT modules.

I was trying to help. This guide shows "how to" exactly what you asked for. I have plenty of experience configuring EtherCAT modules although I've never used Smart Slice. Have you tried contacting Omron tech support?

Did you acquire the ESI files? This is probably the most important part. I searched for them but could not find them. I would think the Smart Slice unit would be configured in Sysmac Studio but I don't know. 

Ok, I see.

When you assume that I haven't read all the recommended literature, then you post a sentence categorizing people, I took it personally.

Yes, I have contacted my local Omron technical advisor. Apparently someone set up the analog module first in the DeviceNet network (which I do not have) and then turned it on in EtherCAT. "Which is not recommended by Omron. The solution with EC_CoESDOWrite should work".
It seems that you should include "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller on your recommended reading list. If you want to take advantage of the savings in programming time, you need to start programming with EC_CoESDOWrite.

On 11/23/2023 at 8:04 AM, Adalbert said:

Ok, I see.

When you assume that I haven't read all the recommended literature, then you post a sentence categorizing people, I took it personally.

His signature at the bottom of all his posts is meant as a joke.

I have used these before and unfortunately as stated in the manual:

SmartSlice I/O Units cannot be configured nor accessed through the EtherCAT Communication Unit SmartSlice I/O Units are only supported with their default I/O data configuration.

Luckily for us or not as the case may be, we use the profinet coupler so set all of the modules up in CX-Configurator FDT. It is especially annoying for the thermocouple cards as they are default N-Type iirc. Depending on the card there are dip switches on the side which can be used to ignore the soft settings, so you can set K-Type at least on the GRT-TS2T without the configuration software.