Chris Elston

Slave EIP Device will not communcation as Generic Device only EDS File

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever ran into the fact that you have a Slave EIP device, and it works ok when you use the EDS file, however if you try and configure it as a Generic Connection, it doesn't communicate to your AB PLC? What would cause something like that?

Most commonly, errors in buffer lengths.

If you provide more details, I may be able offer more help.

Aside from that, there are output buffer mode indicator options that aren't supported by the generic device.

Here is the EDS file I am working with. 

No problems if I import it using EDS Wizard. It's an EDS AOP with variable size mapping.

But if I try to create a Generic Connection with

ASSY 100 - 32 bytes (SINT)
ASSY 150 - 32 bytes (SINT)
Config 1 - 0 bytes (SINT)

AB won't talk to the slave, I get a Code #16(0315)

YAMAHA_EP-01(EIP2).eds

The connection manager application path specified in the EDS file is "20 04 2C 65 2C 64", which targets assemblies 101 and 100, not 150 and 100. It also completely omits any configuration assembly, which Rockwell's generic ethernet module cannot do.  But try using output assembly 101 instead of 150.

{ EDS file assembly numbering is not required to match actual assembly numbers.  Only the application path in the connection entry is definitive. }

Meanwhile, the error code is troubling, because it reports an error in the route path, not the application path.  See §11.2 in my Ignition EtherNet/IP driver user manual for a public list of common connection errors.

A wireshark capture for working and non-working connections would be helpful.

That was the problem. The Instance number did not match the HEX target assembly... that is nuts...

1 person likes this