Red

Setting up Data Types

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Long term CX user here,  I'm starting to attempt to migrate a few projects to OMRON Sysmac NJ controllers.  We are heavy into the Ethernet/IP integration with devices.  In CX world, I would setup my variables or array and verify the data size matched on both sides.  Is there a simple/easy way to verify the size of a UDT?  

Also is there a simple/easy way to setup these data types in an excel sheet and then import them into Sysmac?

Your help will be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Red

The easiest way to check the size is to create a variable as either an input or output variable (under the Network Publish Column). Then go into your Ethernet/IP connection settings (Tools -> Ethernet/IP Connection Settings), double click on the Ethernet/IP port's IP address, then select Registration All. This will list all Input and Output variables and give you their size in bytes. Click cancel unless you are happy with the size.

To work with Structures in Excel simply copy the parent Structure and paste it into Excel. When you are done copy from excel and paste into Sysmac.

For EIP structures you will likely want to use the User Offset type as the default NJ offset type allots 32 bits to pretty much everything.

2 people like this

Well that was easy....

Thank you very much for your swift response.  You've saved me countless hours of right clicking to add members to my structures.

47 minutes ago, photovoltaic said:

default NJ offset type allots 32 bits to pretty much everything

It is more complicated than that.  (But nicer than Rockwell's alignment rules.)  You might find §3.3.1, §3.3.2, and §8.8.4 of my EtherNet/IP Ignition driver's User Manual helpful.

User Offsets cause complications with client drivers, fwiw.

2 hours ago, pturmel said:

It is more complicated than that.  (But nicer than Rockwell's alignment rules.)  You might find §3.3.1, §3.3.2, and §8.8.4 of my EtherNet/IP Ignition driver's User Manual helpful.

User Offsets cause complications with client drivers, fwiw.

Most EIP drivers are explicit tag-based messages and yes, sticking to elementary datatypes can save yourself some trouble(just don't ask a Rockwell PLC for a BOOL). In Implicit connections your offset won't play a part in it though. If the size matches then the data flows!