Chasberrypi

Connecting to PLC Issue

3 posts in this topic

I have an Allen Bradley 5069-L306ER CompactLogix 5380 Controller that I cannot connect to. I tried pinging the controller and I did not get a single reply. I went on RSLinx Classic and I can find it there.

My coworks have no issues connecting to it. They use the same cables and adapters that I use. 

What am I doing wrong.

I can go to different PLCs in our plants and I have no issues connecting to them.

7 minutes ago, Chasberrypi said:

What am I doing wrong.

Umm?  You haven't provided ANY details.  All we can say is that something about your kit or your procedure is different from your coworkers.

:shrug:

As @pturmel said above, more details would be helpful. But since you said you're trying to ping the controller, I assume you're using ethernet to connect.

If the laptop can't see the controller (not responding to pings) then RSLinx, which lives on the laptop, will not be able to see it, either. You'll have to get response from the ping before Linx will be able to see any given node. After checking that the ethernet card on your laptop is installed and working properly, check the TCP/IP4 settings. The laptop's IP address is usually set to "obtain automatically" out of the box. If you're not using BOOTP or DHCP, you'll need to change to the laptop's address to match the controller's subnet and subnet mask.

Hope I'm not preaching to the choir, but I've attached a quick reference doc that I give to beginners who are learning how to connect via ethernet for the first time.

Ethernet Settings In Laptop.pdf

1 person likes this